Is there a manual - finding windows u intuitive at best.

Options
aphonic
aphonic
Community Member
edited September 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I’m really struggling to use the windows version of 1p between the mini, unlock full app, and web opening. It just doesn’t make sense to me at all.

I want to go to a webpage and prompt an unlock of a 1p entry to log in. Ideally I want this to also unlock the desktop version for at least a certain amount of time. This is what used to happen pre x.

What is happening is I get prompted to bring up mini. Unlock it. Then if it’s not right and I have to search for an alternate url. I may open the desktop and unlock it. Or it may open in the browser. I honestly can’t remember becuase it seems to change. It’s just a lot of different things going on and to be honest I’m finding it extremely confusing. I’m using edge.

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @aphonic!

I want to go to a webpage and prompt an unlock of a 1p entry to log in. Ideally I want this to also unlock the desktop version for at least a certain amount of time. This is what used to happen pre x.

You can use the companion browser extension for this :+1:

When it comes to using 1Password in the browser, this documentation page should help:

Saving, filling, and changing your passwords

• aphonic
    aphonic
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I am Using the browser extension currently- it just doesn’t seem to do
    Things the way I’d expect. Is there a way to completely avoid opening a web page and is there a way to unlock and fill from the desktop client into the browser without having to unlock things twice if I have to search?

I’ll read the link thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aphonic:

I am Using the browser extension currently

From your first post, it sounds like you are using 1Password X though, instead of the companion browser extension. Can you confirm?

Is there a way to completely avoid opening a web page and is there a way to unlock and fill from the desktop client into the browser without having to unlock things twice if I have to search?

Both of these are possible with the companion browser extension, yes :+1:

• aphonic
    aphonic
    Community Member
    Options

I was using the 1passwordx extension - but I am still a little confused why when unlocking that with a prompt it brought up a general window with nothing to do with the login fields.

example I go to a site where I have credentials.
    in the field i am prompted to press ctrl + shift + x
    after the key combo a window pops up to unlock with my master password and sits at general
    that has to be closed then i have to go back to the page to see if there are credentials to log in
    if not i have to ctrl shift x again to go and create stuff.

Why can't the window that opens go to the relevant site ? or is this a bug?

I have changed extensions now and hopefully that remedies the difficulties i am having with usability. What's the point of the 1px extension out of curiosity - if the other one exists and the x extension lacks the intelligence? Aside from a private browsing thumbstick I don't understand why people would opt to use it when it doesn't really work well.

I'm sure i'm just missing something as always!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aphonic:

1Password X is our latest version of the browser extension, designed to run entirely in the browser without the need to install the 1Password desktop app. You can read more about it here:

1Password X

The companion browser extension is our older browser extension, the one that required the 1Password app to be installed. Because 1Password X is an exclusive for 1Password subscribers, you would use the older companion browser extension if you don't have a 1Password account, for example.

Why can't the window that opens go to the relevant site ? or is this a bug?

I am not sure I follow this part: you said that you went to a certain website, and unlocked 1Password X. Is there a reason why you are expecting 1Password X to go to that website, if you are already on it?

This discussion has been closed.