how to move items from one vault to another without loosing attachments ?

loscarweb
loscarweb
Community Member

Hello

I have 1password family,
when I try to move an item from my personal vault to another, the item is moved but the attachments files that were on it do not move and get deleted. this is terrible as not only they do not move the files get deleted and appear as marked deleted on the vault the item moved to.

I am trying to do this on Mac 1password app and IOS and the problem occurs on both. this defeats the purpose of moving items or even taking a chance to store sensitive file in 1password.

what am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance for your help

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: oxx 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:move attachments vaults

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @loscarweb!

You are doing nothing wrong: this is a current limitation in the way Document items are handled in 1Password. Unfortunately the link between them is currently lost when moving them from one vault to another. This is something our developers are aware of, and we hope to have this improvement implemented as soon as possible.

• loscarweb
    loscarweb
    Community Member

hi Ana,

thank you for the explanation. this is not a good news but I guess that explains it an I will wait for a fix..
    looking at other threads it seems that this problem is an old one that remains unsolved. If I may say, it is not cool to let customers stumble in this trap. since the item moves correctly, it is just the attachment that gets deleted, one thinks that the move went Ok and it is only much later when they need that attachment that they realize it is not there anymore, with no real way to get it back. If 1password cannot fix the problem, you should at least not allow moving items with attachment. I really do not understand why 1password knows that files get deleted and still allow users to move items between vault..not very user friendly!

thank you
    carlos

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@loscarweb:

Thank you for the feedback! Can I ask you to clarify something though? You wrote:

it is just the attachment that gets deleted, one thinks that the move went Ok and it is only much later when they need that attachment that they realize it is not there anymore, with no real way to get it back.

In your original post you also wrote that you are using 1Password Families, which does not support attachments. If you use a Families account, you use item linking to connect a document to an item:

Use item links to help others find shared items

Moving items from one vault to another in a Families account does not delete the attachment, it only loses the link between the items. The Document item will remain in the Document category. Is this not what you are seeing?

• loscarweb
    loscarweb
    Community Member

• loscarweb
    loscarweb
    Community Member

hello

I did a test where I put a file in carlos vault, move the item to parents, and after I do this, the item in parents lose the attachment.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@loscarweb:

Thank you for the confirmation! I see that you are indeed using item links in the related items feature, so moving items from one vault to another does not delete the connected document ;)

• loscarweb
    loscarweb
    Community Member

I was not looking for documents to find them. I am glad they are still there, but because I have so many of them, having a huge list of the document with no reference to the item they were attached is confusing. But again much better than loosing them as I thought.. thank you for the clarification.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @loscarweb! And I agree with you that ideally we would also maintain the link, not just the document. Hopefully our developers will find a way to make this happen :+1:

• el_Fakir
    el_Fakir
    Community Member

"Hopefully our developers will find a way to make this happen", yes, we still have hope ;)

That reminds me of an old mid-2018 thread -> https://1password.community/discussion/comment/532097

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@el_Fakir:

Our developers have been hard at work on many features in the last few months, who knows what the future will bring. Sorry that this feature has not made the list yet!

This discussion has been closed.