Can I open 1PasswordX in it's own window?

Options

I'm a long time user of 1Password for Mac. I decided to try and move to 1PasswordX. I'm having trouble with a few workflows, so I thought I would try asking here:
Is it possible to open up 1PassX in it's own window (I guess it would be a browser tab)? Maybe I'm doing things wrong, but there are a few things I do often that I haven't figured out how to do in 1PassX

• I often will use 1Pass7 for ssh passwords or credentials in a native app. To do this now, I switch to the 1Pass7 UI with cmd-tab then interact with the main 1Pass window so I can go lookup and copy the password.

• When auto-generating passwords, I often have to modify the suggestion from 1Pass because a specific site restricts special characters to a specific subset or something. Right now, I do this by copying the password, pasting it in a text editor, editing it, then putting that back both in the web form and in the entry in 1Pass7. I don't yet know how to do this in 1PassX. It looks like my only option for new passwords is to use the suggestion and then create/update an entry as is.

What I'm getting at is that I feel the "just do it all for me" flows in 1PassX work most of the time, they don't work ALL of the time and I'm hoping there are ways to get to a more full UI while still using just 1PassX. I know I can use both at the same time, but that feels clunky. I'd really like to figure out how to use just 1PassX well.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nickmcguire
    nickmcguire
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Heya @krby,

Happy to hear you're trying out 1Password X!

1Password X is able to be opened in a new window by clicking on one of the actions in the toolbar (see image). It is still tied to the browser so quitting the browser will unfortunately close it too.

For generated passwords, we're always trying to improve our default suggestion so if you have sites that you've had problems with I'd love to know them. However for the next time you run into a site where you'd like to customize the password, I'd suggest trying the Password Generator (found by opening the pop-up, clicking the New button, then choosing Password Generator). Within the generator you can customize the password in any way needed for the site.

Hopefully those help you with your 1Password X flows ✨

• krby
    krby
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Getting used to a new workflow is always a challenge, so I appreciate the help. I'll try these out today and see how it goes, but so far I think you have answered exactly what I needed.

Re: suggested passwords. I don't think 1Pass (X or Native) is doing anything wrong. I keep my defaults for generated passwords where I want them, and some sites just decide that "special characters" only mean some subset. Each problematic site has a different subset. I understand why those sites want to do that, but having written code that handles these things, I think it's taking the easy way out. Escaping all characters of user input isn't really an unknown art these days.

• Hey @krby. On behalf of Nick, you're very welcome. :smile: We're making use of Apple's Password Manager Resources now, too, so as time goes on, our suggested passwords should be more and more compatible with those persnickety sites.

This discussion has been closed.