How to unlock 1Password X

Options

I recently downloaded the 1Password X extension for Firefox. The extension shows a lock on the icon and when I right click on the icon nothing happens. How do I unlock 1Password X? If I go the the 1Password website, I can sign into my account with no problem but I can't get the extension to work. I'm also confused over 1Password X and 1Password 7 for Windows, do I need both of them or only one of them? Thanks for any help.

Chuck

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• apprenticeNerd
    apprenticeNerd
    Community Member
    Options

Have you tried left clicking on the icon? I've used the extension in both Firefox and Chrome, and that's how I've unlocked it in the past - left click on the icon, it'll bring up a popup asking you to enter your master password, which is the one you should have created with your 1Password account. There's also a keyboard shortcut you can use to open the popup if you're on a login page, which is Ctrl/Cmd + period in Firefox by default.

I'm not part of the 1Password support team, so if there's anything beyond user error going on here, I can't really help. Anybody else want to weigh in?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @I_Chuck! Welcome to the forum!

How do I unlock 1Password X?

apprenticeNerd is correct: to unlock 1Password X, please make sure you left-click on its icon, instead of right-clicking on it ;)

I'm also confused over 1Password X and 1Password 7 for Windows, do I need both of them or only one of them?

1Password X is the browser extension: you need it to fill your credentials on webpages. While you can do a lot of things directly inside the extension, some things are easier to do in the 1Password 7 for Windows app (such as editing items, for example), so you might want to consider keeping both, and using one or the other depending on what you need to do.

• I_Chuck
    I_Chuck
    Community Member
    Options

ag_ana, thanks for the response, unfortunately left clicking on the icon doesn't help. It brings up a drop down menu starting with manage extension but there is nothing about 1Password X. I've tried removing the 1Password X extension and reinstalling but the same problem persists. I'm running the extension in Firefox 81.0 on a Windows 10 desktop PC.

Chuck

• @I_Chuck, is your Firefox set to always use Private browsing and/or to never remember your history?

• I_Chuck
    I_Chuck
    Community Member
    Options

ag_michaelc, yes, my Firefox set to always use Private browsing and to never remember your history. Also, a side issue is that every time I try to sign into the forum I get a message to reset my password. So far trying to use 1Password is frustrating me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@I_Chuck: If you enable history and open a regular Firefox window it should work. Firefox has some limitations that prevent 1Password X from working otherwise. Chrome and its derivatives (Brave, Vivaldi, etc.) do not have that limitation, so those are options as well.

Regarding the login/reset issue, it sounds like maybe you saved the URL for the password reset page in your Login for the forum. Is that the case? This is the login page for the forum, if you want to save that instead to go there directly:

https://1password.community/entry/signin?Target=

• I_Chuck
    I_Chuck
    Community Member
    Options

brenty, thanks for the information it seems to have solved the 1Password X access problem. However, it does not solve the forum login problem. I used the sign in button on the main page and I still get a reset password message.

Chuck

• Hey Chuck, have you perhaps not reset your password since we posted this announcement?

https://1password.community/discussion/109038/forum-password-reset

This discussion has been closed.