Not always possible to unlock the app by Apple Watch

wizard86pz
wizard86pz
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

As described, in the title, not always is possible to use the watch to unlock the desktop app. Unlockgin the app from the menu bar on top, it never fails. But it fails opening the desktop app from dock icon.

I receive the message to unlock the app on the watch perfectly, but with double press on the physical button, nothing happens. I need to close the finger print request on macbook, and trigger it again pressin on the finger print icon on the desktop app.

Running

• macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73), macbook with T1 chip for secure enclave
  • watchOS 6.2.8 on serie 4 device
  • last beta of desktop app 7.7.BETA-0 (70700000)

Comments

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

As little hint: I've always noticed that opening the desktop app, in the touch bar, the finger print request does appear, disappear for a moment, and reapper. This has been happening for a long time, and I'm quite sure that this breaks the things somehow, and now I see the result with the Apple Watch new feature.

I've a video that shows the issue: https://mega.nz/file/cNAGUYhB#t3qOioGS2M2b0FGiAbWGiaKnJofBT96D0aOeb6fsneM

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

@Ben do you need more info/checks? Maybe desktop app logs? Can you tell me if what is shown in the video is intended and (if not) if it could be realted to the issue of this thread? Thanks.

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

@rudy this is not yet fixed in last beta 7.7.BETA-1. I confirm also the video "glitch" shown, in the same new today's beta.

I've been able to reproduce also this: as shown in the video, there is a brief moment when the finger print request in the touchabr is not shown. Well, if i try to unlock the app at first instant it shows the prompt for finger print, the unocking is ignored and I have to touch again the finger print sensor, after the secon appearing of the request. Here the time line, hoping to be clear:
    1. I launch of the app
    2. it appear the finger print request in screen and touchbar
    3. I unlock it
    4. the request disappear for less than 1 second, and a second request appear
    5. I unlock again, and the app is unlocked.

I think this wrong behaviour is strongly related to the present thread issue report.

• @wizard86pz,

correct, this one has not yet been addressed.

• larsenpedersen
    larsenpedersen
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same original problem for this thread (not able to log into main 1Password 7-app until I close the fingerprint modal once) - I'm however not experiencing the issue shown on the video.

macOS Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101), macbook with T1 chip for secure enclave
    watchOS 6.2.8 (17U63) on serie 4 device
    1Password 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001)

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Any news @rudy? Maybe @ag_ana can help too?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wizard86pz:

1Password 7.7.BETA-1 (70700001) is still the latest beta, we have not published a new one yet, so I don't think we have any updates since Rudy's previous pot.

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

@ag_ana thanks for the reply!

I know that there is no a new beta for now, but even if there is still no any new beta (publicly), I was mentioning you and Rudi just because for this report/thread, I do not see any request or feedback, differently from all my previous reports in last year, where I've been always supported whit feedbacks and check requests.

I've no idea if my issue is something already known/reproducible and under fixing by the dev team, or if you need more details or info collected by a log, and so on.

I'm not the only one here (@larsenpedersen can reproduce the same issue from Apple Watch) and outside, where a friend of mine has shown me the same, with same devices and OSs versions.

If I continue to send messages here is just to check what else you need to correctly address the report, helping my own UX with the app I've subscribed :) My first intent is not a rapid fix, thinking that problems can be always fixed rapidly, but to provide you all the necessary info, much of them requested by you, all the times.

This time I have only a bad impression to have not "attracted" enough attention of the support team.

I'm quite sure I'm wrong, but I preferred to explain all in a detailed way, with this message.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wizard86pz:

Thank you for clarifying this! We really appreciate it. It's easy to misunderstand each other online, so I think it's always a good idea to clarify our positions if possible :)

I might be stating the obvious here, but I feel it's worth to set expectations: looking at this discussion, I see that Rudy replied to you on Thursday. Then you asked for an update on Monday. Considering that there was a weekend in between, that left us with just one "active" day. I am sorry if we did not meet your expectations here, but please consider that we cannot be everywhere at the same time. As you might have noticed, this last beta has been a huge upgrade, so I am sure that our developers are all hard at work to address all feedback we are receiving.

If we have not followed up, it's usually because we have not had the chance to do it yet, not because we don't want to reply. You are absolutely welcome to keep asking for updates, but there is no guarantee that we will have any update to share. I see that you have been an active member of this community for a while, so I am sure you noticed that we all do our best to try and reply to every single comment on the forum, and I even personally try to follow up to old reports when there is a fix :)

Sorry again if you felt you have not been properly followed here, but please also be mindful that this is not the only report we are working on. I am not sure there is much else I can say here, and perhaps this clarification was useless, but I also think that being upfront and setting proper expectations can go a long way :)

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Ok, fine, thanks. Waiting for requests or other info/feedbacks by you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your understanding @wizard86pz! I have also personally asked Rudy for an update for you when he gets a chance ;)

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Another info: if I unlock the app pressing on the menu bar icon, or on the 1Password X beta icon in the browser, the finger print ask always produce a good request on the apple watch, and I am ALWAYS able to correctly unlock the app in this way.

I see the issue of the video ONLY when I open the main desktop app.

• NeckBeardPrince
    NeckBeardPrince
    Community Member

Same issue here

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Thanks for confirm @NeckBeardPrince. Can you tell me if you see the same on your TouchBar on MacBook Pro, like shown in the video link there: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/566351/#Comment_566351

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member
    edited July 2020

No changes in last beta 7.7.BETA-2 (70700002):

1. same behaviour form Apple Watch
    2. same glitch in touchbar as shown in the video.
  • Thanks @wizard86pz. We'll definitely put in the release notes when we think we've got this fixed. :)

Ben

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

In recent past I've seen (with my eyese) fixed some issues not listed in the changelog, so I prefer to not wait for an explicit mention to this issue, to avoid to give here confirm that the issue is still present, in the last beta.

• Okay :+1:

Ben

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Sorry to confirm that 7.7.BETA-3 (build #70700003) is still affected :( With that "glitch" in the touchbar, the app desktop unlock via Apple Watch NEVER works.

• @wizard86pz,

Thanks for the update, I can confirm that I have not fixed this.

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Sorry to confirm that 7.7.BETA-5 (build #70700005) is still affected :(

When that "glitch" in the touchbar happens, the app desktop unlock via Apple Watch NEVER works.

Any info from the dev team? I've no rush for a fix, but I'm really interested in knowing that dev team knows the existence of this issue.

If you need any other info or check, please ask.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited August 2020

@rudy is the developer working on this feature. :)

Ben

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Great to have him here, thanks.

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Hi there,
    any info about this issue I keep having on my machine? Sorry to confirm that 1Password 7 Version 7.7.BETA-8 (70700008) is still affected :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Not yet @wizard86pz, sorry. We will make sure to update you when this has been resolved :+1:

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Hi there,
    still no any change in last beta 7.7.BETA-10 (70700010).

I switched to iOS 14 and watchOS 7 past week. Giving you the info since apple watch is involved in this issue, it seems.

Tried on last macOS stable 10.15.7 (19H2).

CC @rudy

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @wizard86pz :+1: :)

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Hi there,
    still no any change in last beta 7.7.BETA-12 (70700012).

Tried on last macOS stable 10.15.7 (19H15), released last night.

CC @rudy

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Just updated also watchOS of affected/used Apple watch to 7.1 (18R590). No any difference.

This discussion has been closed.