Search field stops working during sync in iOS extension

alextan
alextan
Community Member

This has been a bug I’ve encountered in the iOS extension for a long time.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open 1Password extension in Safari or any other app.
  2. I start searching for the login I want.
  3. Search results start to filter down but then the list of logins appears to refresh and displays the same results as when the input is blank, not filtered by the search input.
  4. Typing additional characters, such as if the input said “App” and I type “Apple” doesn’t filter the search results.

The only thing I can do is clear the input and then type my search again.

1Password Version: 7.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.6.1
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Search field stops working during sync in iOS extension

Comments

• Hi @alextan

Thank you for the report. Is this happening with the share sheet extension, or with Password AutoFill? I tested against the share sheet extension and was not able to reproduce the issue using the steps you provided. Does the issue happen consistently for you, or only on occasion? If only on occasion... any indication of what that occasion is?

Thanks!

Ben

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

It's with the Password AutoFill extension. There's no specific time that I can think of that triggers it but like I said my hunch is that syncing of some sort is occurring to replace the database so perhaps after another device adds a login and you haven't synced on the device you're using.

• Thanks @alextan; we appreciate the report. I'll keep an eye out for that behavior. If I find a way to reproduce it I will file an issue with our development team. In the meantime, if you spot anything that allows you to reproduce the issue consistently, please let us know.

Ben

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

FWIW I see this semi-frequently as well (latest iPadOS) but in my case it's only when it's a basic auth dialog in Safari, not an actual regular website form.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@VirtualWolf:

And is this happening every time you see a basic auth dialog in Safari?

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

No, it's not that easy to reproduce unfortunately, but it is the only time I ever see this behaviour. I just tried five times in a row in a new private window in Safari and couldn't get it to happen. :(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @VirtualWolf. I have also tried testing this in Safari and I have not been able to reproduce it so far. I will keep testing a little bit more, but we will definitely keep an eye out in case we get other reports :+1:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I've reported this previously too, in another thread. It occurs probably once a day or so (and that's likely due to my infrequency of use of the autofill on my iPad of late). The only way to resolve it is to dismiss the dialog, and re-try the autofill. I see it routinely during a login for a game where I have two accounts and swap between the two.

• Thanks folks. We're still trying to nail down steps to reproduce this, so if you notice there are actions you take or circumstances that exist that cause this to happen please let us know.

Ben

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

I have a video of the bug in action if you'd like to see it that I could PM (contains email addresses so don't want to post it here). It occurred while using basic auth.

• Hi @alextan

Does the problem occur every time you take the actions in the video? Please email it to support+forum@1password.com and include a link to this thread for context (https://1password.community/discussion/comment/574210/#Comment_574210).

Thanks!

Ben

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

Just replying again to this thread because I’m still experiencing this issue regularly many months later. This seems very basic functionality that should work seamlessly. Is there any plan to fix this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alextan:

I believe we have not been able to reproduce this, we have never received a list of steps that make us trigger this on demand. Do you have a step-by-step list of commands that makes this happen every single time? If you could share this list with us, we will be happy to keep testing :+1:

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

@ag_ana it's an inconsistent bug but I did send an email as suggested by Ben showing a video of the issue as well as a diagonstics report. @VirtualWolf confirmed in this thread they have seen this bug as well.

As I mentioned in my previous post the problem seems to happen in this order

1. I start typing
    2. the login list refreshes (perhaps background sync is occurring and replaces all the items in the list?)
    3. The search no longer filters items until the search is cleared
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @alextan! I have followed them on my own device right now, and things worked as expected, so those steps are not enough to reproduce the issue consistently I am afraid :(

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

I just recreated the bug:

(Using 1Password sync)

1. Open 1Password on Mac.
    2. Add a login for google.com.
    3. Open iPad and go to google.com sign in in Safari.
    4. Click the bottom of the screen to bring up the 1Password extension.
    5. Start searching (as quickly as possible) so that items begin to filter before sync takes place.
    6. As you're typing the list of items refreshes and the search no longer in effect.
    7. The only way to get the search to work again is to clear the search field.

If I close the extension and reopen it I don't run into the same problem (presumably because this time the sync is up to date since I haven't added any logins on other devices).

After that I followed the steps again to make sure I could recreate the bug and it seems to recreate consistently for me now.

Hopefully you'll be able to see the issue with these steps.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@alextan:

1. Click the bottom of the screen to bring up the 1Password extension.

Can you post a screenshot of where you are clicking in this step?

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

Yeah, the key in the red circle. Then I click 1Password... in the account selector popover that comes up.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @alextan! I managed to make this happen once on my iPhone, but I cannot make this happen anymore. We will keep investigating :+1:

• alextan
    alextan
    Community Member

Ah good to hear. Thank you

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome :+1:

This discussion has been closed.