why is 1password autofilling my website passwords when the app is closed

Options

i started adding my various websites to the 1password vault (and as part of the process I have been changing the passwords on each site with the 1password random password generator and updating new passwords in 1password. Its working. When I open a site form the vault it will either completely open the website or the password will be blank but there is a 1 password icon in the blank password line which when clicked will autofill the password. That makes sense if Im logged into 1 password, but if 1password is logged off why would it be autofilling the passwords on websites. Maybe I misunderstand how this works, but the whole idea is that the passwords are in the vault and unless Im logged in to 1password it should not be autofilling. where is the security in that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:why is 1password autofilling my website passwords when the app is closed

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ljstern92,

It sounds like you have 1Password X installed in your browser and 1Password X is unlocked. That is why it is able to fill your credentials in the browser.

If you lock 1Password X, it will not be able to fill your credentials. Could you please try to do that and let me know if it works as expected after that?

Also, please note that there is a difference between "locked" and "closed". When you close 1Password 7 for Windows window, it doesn't lock automatically and continues to run in the background.

If you have any concerns about it, you can customise the auto-lock timer for both 1Password 7 (here is how) and 1Password X (here is how) and lock them manually every time you finish working with your data.

I hope it helps and answers your question. Let me know what you find. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.