Why doesn't 1Password save the username when I generate & save a password on mini?

koraykupe
koraykupe
Community Member

If I generate & save a password on a website I try to register, 1Password saves it as a password item and even I type in my email/username it ignores it. So I have to click Edit/Cancel/Convert to Login buttons and type in my email/username there. This is the default behavior (not a bug) as far as I know and makes me annoyed for a password manager I pay $3 per month. 1Password X handles it much better, but the 'beta' app integration is temporarily disabled, and it still has some features like dark mode. So, I really wonder why is that? This happens almost every new website I try to register, so really annoying to me. Do I miss something?

I open the mini
Click 'generate password'
Click 'Save & Copy'
It autofills the password field
I fill in my username/email on the website I am trying to register
It doesn't update the email/username address and keep the password item.

So, I have to
Click Edit on the mini
Click Cancel
Click Convert to Login
Type in my username/email AGAIN
and save

I am tired even while I was explaining this. Imagine I register 10 new websites per day.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @koraykupe

Do you have the option to prompt to save new logins turned on? That may be more convenient than converting password items to Logins. Alternatively you can manually save them as Logins, which will capture the username field, if you'd rather not be prompted:

How to save a Login manually in your browser

Ben

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

Yes, it is on, but I don't understand why I have to do it manually? Is this how it works? Why can't it handle such a basic case automatically while 1PasswordX does it very well?

• @koraykupe

You don't have to do it manually if prompting is turned on. If it is, you'd just generate the password, fill out the form, submit it, and then accept the prompt to save the login when it comes up.

Ben

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member
    edited September 2020

Can you please register with the steps to that website? https://access.trivago.com/oauth/en-US/login?step=register

Because I don't see the prompt to save the login if I first generate a password and save it.

• @koraykupe
    1Password should prompt you to save a new password when manually typing in the usernames and passwords fields.

That being the case, please try these steps to save a new login of your website and let me know how it works. It shouldn't take you longer than a few extra clicks.

1. Go to https://access.trivago.com/oauth/en-US/login?step=register
    2. Fill in the username
    3. Generate a random password > Save&Fill.
    4. Click on the 1Password extension icon > Select the gear icon > New Login > Save Login.
  • koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

Oh wait, @nhat_1P Why do I have to MANUALLY click 1Password extension icon > Select the gear icon > New Login > Save Login.

@Ben says it shows a prompt to save the login. Why doesn't it offer to save it as a login item or convert the password item to login item.

• @koraykupe

I am sorry for not being clear. 1Password should prompt you to autosave a new login if you don't use the password generator to fill. 1Password should also ask you to save if you clear the password field and press Cmd+V to paste the random passwords generated by the password generator.

I will let the development team know for further investigation. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

Yes, It works if I delete the auto-filled generated password and paste it manually, but this doesn't make any sense. I have been trying to explain this issue for 1 year. :chuffed:

• @koraykupe

Your point is well taken. We have made some improvements to this in the v7.7 beta. Have you tried that version, and do you still have the problem there?

Use 1Password beta releases

Please let me know.

Ben

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

@Ben I am on the latest beta right now, but don't see any difference in that. What change log item points out that?

• Thanks @koraykupe. I just confirmed with development that the changes haven't made it into a public build yet. We're hoping to push out a new beta soon that will. Please keep an eye out for an update.

Ben

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

@Ben I have updated to 7.7.BETA-10 (build #70700010) today, nothing changed.

• @koraykupe,

This is correct, the beta that will have it is 7.7.BETA-11.

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

@rudy I can't wait to test it. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• koraykupe
    koraykupe
    Community Member

@rudy @Ben @ag_ana I have updated to 7.7.BETA-11 and don't see any improvement in the use-case I told on the first message. :|

• Thank you for the update @koraykupe. I wish I had more encouraging news to share. At this point I think the only way to see an improvement in this regard would be to use either Safari's new inline menu or 1Password X in Chrome/Firefox.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.