To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Why CMD+Period when the Desktop version is open?

panozfan
panozfan
Community Member

I wonder why I'm being asked to hit CMD+Period to open 1PX even though the desktop (v7.7) is unlocked and open. I'm using Firefox v81.

Any help is appreciated.

1Password Version: 7.7 Beta 10
Extension Version: 1.22.4
OS Version: OS X 10.15.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @panozfan!

1Password X does not communicate with the desktop application, it is an independent extension that you can use without having to install anything else separately. This is why its lock settings are also separate.

If you would like your extension to follow the lock settings of the main app, you should use the companion browser extension instead.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Thanks, @ag_ana for your prompt reply.

Hmm... I thought that I already use that extension since the little 1P icon is visible in the Firefox browser. What's the difference between 1Password X and the companion browser extension? What I'm aiming for is to use the Touch ID when unlocking both versions of 1P.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@panozfan:

1Password X is our latest version of the browser extension, designed to run entirely in the browser without the need to install the 1Password desktop app. You can read more about it here:

1Password X

The companion browser extension is our older browser extension, the one that required the 1Password app to be installed. Because 1Password X is an exclusive for 1Password subscribers, you would use the older companion browser extension if you don't have a 1Password account, for example.

What I'm aiming for is to use the Touch ID when unlocking both versions of 1P.

If this is your goal, currently you should use the companion browser extension, which can be unlocked with Touch ID. This is something that we are working to bring to 1Password X too, but at the moment only the companion extension has the feature.

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

Many thanks for your explanation. As a subscriber, I look very much forward to use 1Password X with Touch ID... which I think most MacBook users are missing right now. By the way, haven't you worked with that feature for quite a while now? ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@panozfan:

That's right! We actually had it in beta for a while ;) We decided to temporarily remove it while we replace it with something even more reliable though. You can read the details about the decision here:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

• panozfan
    panozfan
    Community Member

@ag_ana thanks for the link. Interesting reading :)

Have a good day.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @panozfan, you too! :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.