Backup documentation

Options
FEDE_NATOR
FEDE_NATOR
Community Member

I wanted to make a local backup for keeping a flash drive in my safe, and I saw this guide. However, there doesn't seem to exist the 'File > Backup' menu or '1Password > Preferences > Backups' option. Is the documentation wrong? Is it outdated? Is it an upcoming feature? Anyway, it would be great if there was that option.

1Password Version: 7.4.1 (Mac App Store)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:backup

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @FEDE_NATOR! Welcome to the forum!

You are looking at the documentation on how to backup standalone vaults, but from what you wrote, I think you don't have any. If you don't have any standalone vaults in your 1Password app, and you are using a 1Password Membership instead, you won't see a backup option in your Preferences because data is backed up automatically on 1Password.com.

• FEDE_NATOR
    FEDE_NATOR
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, could please explain me the difference between a standalone vault and a normal one? Also, membership is the subscription model, right?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@FEDE_NATOR:

could please explain me the difference between a standalone vault and a normal one?

A standalone vault is a vault that is stored either locally on your device, or on a third-party cloud such as iCloud or Dropbox. Regular vaults are stored on 1Password.com.

Also, membership is the subscription model, right?

That's correct.

• FEDE_NATOR
    FEDE_NATOR
    Community Member
    Options

Cool, thanks!

• @FEDE_NATOR

On behalf of ag_ana, your welcome! If we can be of further assistance, please reach out.

• dtvz
    dtvz
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

FEDE_NATOR on January 31 asked how to make a local backup. ag_ana's implied answer was that he didn't need one. It may be the position of 1Password that one does not need to have a local backup, but none-the-less, there surely is a reason someone would like to have one.

Perhaps this would help others:
    https://support.1password.com/export/

Thank you

• Ben
    Options

@dtvz

We wouldn't recommend considering an export as a backup, as exports are unencrypted. This means the data in them is not protected by your Master Password (or anything else). The data from your membership is already automatically stored encrypted on your device. If you're backing up your device then you're all set. :)

Ben

• dtvz
    dtvz
    Community Member
    edited February 2020
    Options

Thanks. Unencrypted is bad. I appreciate your saying so. One can't say it enough regarding password backups. I've taken care to use strong encryption during the export/save of my backup and I hope others with consider encryption as well during any sensitive backup.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unencrypted is bad. I appreciate your saying so. One can't say it enough regarding password backups.

We totally agree :)

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

Unencrypted is not always bad.

Our 1Password export media (currently not including attached documents) are kept in a Safe Deposit Box, where the access controls are, in many ways, possibly more secure and recoverable than encryption. Recovery and access by estate executors are facilitated by having no technical requirement for decryption to access, for example, a decedents financial data. Power of Attorney documents do not generally refer to encryption keys but rather to duties and functions to perform.

Which prompts me to repeat the request for bulk export of attached documents currently stored by 1Password.

I also point out that the details of one's backup process are deliberately invisible to others, including Agilebits. Generic advice is always welcome, but absolute value judgements based on minimal or no information are not necessarily welcome.

Lest you feel that this is bashing Agilebits, let me assure you that 1Password is a recommended tool for all my clients. And further, the current beta is quite pleasing to use and seems to continue to become better.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2020
    Options

Any reasonable opinion is OK here, and as I’ve interpreted it, that’s all that is being expressed.

• anonymess
    anonymess
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with the above posters that there needs to be a straightforward way to create a local unencrypted backup. This can be stored on secure physical media and covers us against some long-term event which denies access to the data held in the cloud by Agilebits.

Like the first poster, I found a page on backing up and looked for File>Backup which does not exist. I too was confused. Then I tried Export, but that creates zero-length files (reported in another thread in August and still not fixed).

Some users require backup of ALL crucial data -- this is a core feature which needs to be provided please.

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Agree, add a dump all to PDF in the clear feature. Would save forgetful folks endless heartache. If the "security" violation keeps the elves up at night, allow them to make the dumping process a bit of a PITA with an "official" AgileBits disclaimer requiring user acknowledgement(s) of desire to proceed—like Apple does in wiping an iPhone, only in the opposite direction.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you both for the feedback :+1:

This discussion has been closed.