Have 1Password Mini keep the search results until I clear the Search box

When I pull up 1Password Mini to grab a password and paste it in a non-browser apps, I sometimes need to pull up 1P Mini a couple of times. As an example, I need to re-log into an app on my machine and I need to manually copy my password into the field and click Login. Next, I need to supply my OTP for that app, requiring me to reopen 1Password Mini a second time.

Because the search is cleared each time I pull up 1P Mini, I have to search again for the credentials and copy the OTP code so I can paste it in the app.

If an option to keep the search results when I open 1P Mini again, this would save me a step. The search results could clear after a few minutes of time (or I can click the X to clear the search box).

I know this is not a feature everyone would want on, so it could be set up as an option in Preferences.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password mini

Comments

• While mini won't save the search itself, @frankoc, it should remember the last used item and place it conveniently at the bottom of the list eliminating the need to search again. One issue I'm aware of is that if you open mini with Ctrl + Alt + \ instead of clicking the 1Password icon in your system tray, it has a tendency to forget that last used item. However, if you open it by clicking first, then use Ctrl + Alt + \ after, it remembers it. We're working on getting that working more reliably, but the feature is there and if you make sure to access mini by clicking at the start it should avoid the need to redo that search. :+1:

• Araxia
    Araxia
    Community Member

1Password mini failing to preserve the last search when activated using its keybinding makes it very awkward to use with non-browser apps. Please consider this my vote to prioritize fixing this inconsistency.

If there were a way to have 1Password mini not auto-hide when used with non-browser apps, that could also make it less laborious to use in that context. The current scenario for authenticating in the Epic Games Launcher, for instance, looks like this:

1. Activate 1Password mini
    2. Search for "Epic"
    3. Copy username.
    4. Paste username.
    5. Activate 1Password mini
    6. Search for "Epic"
    7. Copy password.
    8. Paste password.
    9. Activate 1Password mini
    10. Search for "Epic"
    11. Copy 1TP.
    12. Paste 1TP.
  • Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Araxia,

Sorry for this inconvenience! Could you please try to do the following instead:

1) Open 1Password mini using Ctrl + Alt + \ keyboard shortcut.

2) Find your Epic item there and right-click it. Drag the “username” or “password” menu item to the field in the Epic launcher.

3) Press Ctrl + Alt + \ on your keyboard again and check if 1Password remembers your last used item (Epic).

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Araxia
    Araxia
    Community Member

Thank you, Greg, that does work; 1Password mini remembers the last used item under those circumstances.

Meanwhile, the process of thinking about this problem more deliberately necessitated by reporting it has given me another workaround: since the full app doesn't auto-hide, I can just activate and use that instead of the 1Password mini when using 1Password for non-browser apps.

• I actually do just that, @Araxia. Not only does it stay up, but the drag targets are just that much bigger so I don't have to be quite so careful to grab the right thing. I'm glad it's working for you as well. :chuffed:

• toxalot
    toxalot
    Community Member

@Greg ~ I tried the instructions you provide using Ctrl + Alt + \ keyboard shortcut and it does NOT work for me. I've tried dragging the username, copying it, and auto-typing it into one of the windows in the list. Each time, 1Password Mini auto-hides and when I use the Ctrl + Alt + \ keyboard shortcut again, I have to search again.

If I use the full app, the auto-typing option is only available for the password. It's not available for username or other fields.

It would be really nice if there was an option to set Mini to not auto-hide and be "always on top". Something that was easy to toggle on and off. And as long as it's on top, it wouldn't lose the last search.

I'm on Windows 10 with latest updates.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @toxalot,

Could you please specify what do you mean by "auto-typing option"? I am not sure I understood that part.

As Araxia pointed out above, you can also open the main 1Password 7 app (not mini) and then drag your credentials (both username and password) from there. Does it work for you?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• toxalot
    toxalot
    Community Member

@Greg wrote:

Could you please specify what do you mean by "auto-typing option"? I am not sure I understood that part.

When I right click on an item in Mini, hover over a field name, and select something from the list under "Type in Window". In Mini, every field has this option. In the main app, only some fields have it. For the server type, password has it, but not username. I also added a field for hostname. That one doesn't have the option either.

Using the main app allows me to drag or copy (not type-in-window) without losing my place. However, unless I set up my windows properly (so neither is maximized and they don't overlap), I have to keep bringing up the 1Password window again (which is a pain given how many windows I have on my taskbar). It would be really nice if Mini would just stay on top until I'm done with it. Please consider this a feature request.

• toxalot
    toxalot
    Community Member

OK, I just noticed the main app has "Type in Window" on each field if I right click on an item in the list. For the record, I was using the drop-down that appears next to a field (on hover) when viewing a selected item on the right. I find that easier as it's more direct. That is where the "Type in Window" is missing for some fields.

So, there are a few workarounds to accomplish the task, but I still submit a feature request for an option to have Mini always on top. Something that is easy to toggle, so probably a button next to the minimize button in the title bar.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @toxalot,

Thank you for clarification! Indeed, there is always a room for improvement, so I will make sure to pass your feedback along to our team. Sorry for the inconvenience with the current version.

If you have other questions, please let me know. I will do my best to answer them. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.