MFA/OTP not in sync between devices?

I just added MFA/OTP to one of my logins which have started offering it. I added it by scanning the QR code on with my iPhone. I then tried to login to the website and it failed on the MFA. That's when I noticed the MFA/OTP in the app on my iPhone and the 1Password application on my laptop wasn't in sync. The 1Password X add-on (in Opera browser) and the 1Password application on my Win10 laptop is in sync, but it seems to be wrong since it doesn't work when I try to login. The OTP code on my phone works.

Have I stumbled upon a bug?

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password for families

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jramskov ,

That is not a bug, but probably is a timing issue with your computers' clock. Your phone's clock is automatically synced by your mobile carrier, but your computers clock may be off by a minute or two, causing bad one-time passwords to be generated.

MFA/OTP is heavily reliant on the device's clock to be accurate. Please sync your computers clocks (either manually or by using the auto-sync options) so that the time shown is identical to your phone's clock.
    In some (rare) instances, the date or timezone is off as well, so make sure the date and timezone is accurate as well :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick help. It appears this new Win10 HP laptop isn't good at handling time. I have just done several re-sync with time.windows.com. It was behind before, but now it seems to want to stay around 20 second ahead of the correct time, for whatever reason...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

20 seconds is a reasonable time difference and should work properly with your TOTPs in 1Password.

Glad I could help :)

This discussion has been closed.