DuckDuckGo as default browser

Fairgame
Fairgame
Community Member

Hi, just asking for your opinion. DuckDuckGo in iOS 14 just allowed to select itself as a default browser. By doing that, I lost an option in 1Password to “Open in Safari” with a long click on the url.
While I like DuckDuckGo, I also need some urls to open in Safari instead of the default 1Password browser. To go to DuckDuckGo one needs to copy the url, paste it in DuckDuckGo and 1Password then allows to fill in the login details. Works pretty good, except the copy and past part, but that is not that difficult, just few clicks on iPad or iPhone.
Do you have any plans to allow “Open in Default Browser” option in works for 1Password?

1Password Version: 7.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 14.0
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited September 2020

Hey @Fairgame

This is the first I'm hearing of setting a default browser causing this option to change. Thanks for the report. I will follow up with the team and see what options we have in this regard.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#5011

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

I just tested it again to be sure. With DDG as default browser in iOS Settings under DDG only Copy and Open is available in 1PW.
    Going back in the same Settings under DDG to Safari as default, 1PW offers all three options, Copy, Open and Open in Safari.
    Regards

• I'm seeing the same thing. I opened an issue with development for further investigation. 👍🏻

Ben

• It appears there may currently be some technical limitations (and/or a bug) in iOS 14 that are going to make this difficult if not impossible. Details can be found here, on Apple's developer forum:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/660241

We're still investigating, but I wanted to share that additional information.

Ben

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Wow, that was quick. Thank you!
    Open in Browser is now available and DuckDuckGo opened on iPad.
    1PW version 7.7

• @Fairgame

We hope it helps. Let us know if you notice any problems. I don't anticipate that happening, but we're always here if you need us.

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

Thanks, all is working great!! I have another request, if I may.
    Some websites on iPad work only in Safari (I guess DuckDuckGo has too many restrictions). Or when I would like to save pdf file to Books, Safari is way more accommodating than DuckDuckGo.

Is it possible to have “Open in Browser” as it is now and also an option for Safari for these few outlier cases?

My workaround solution is to copy url and paste it in Safari, so this is pretty simple as well.
    Thank in advance.

• @Fairgame

I'll pass along your feedback and see if there is anything development can do.

This discussion has been closed.