1Password on iPadOS has started frequently requiring master password re-entry

VirtualWolf
VirtualWolf
Community Member

At some point recently, I can't pinpoint exactly when but I'd say within the last month or two, 1Password on my 2018 11" iPad Pro has started CONSTANTLY asking for my master password even despite having it set up to only ever require the master password after a device restart.

I was using my iPad maybe 5 hours ago, was prompted for the master password then which I put in and everything was working as expected with FaceID when I was switching back and forth between 1Password and other apps, and just now I've opened 1Password up again and I'm not getting the option for FaceID and am required to put the password in again.

Is there any logging that 1Password does that can help understand why it keeps doing this? It's getting quite frustrating. :( My iPhone 11 Pro seems to be unaffected as far as I can tell.

1Password Version: 7.6.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iPadOS 13.7
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @VirtualWolf!

When you are prompted for your Master Password, do you see the Face ID button below the Master Password field, or is that not showing at all?

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

Nope, the FaceID button doesn't show at all. It's the exact behaviour you get after a device restart when you HAVE to put your password in. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@VirtualWolf:

Thank you for the confirmation. And to make sure we are on the same page: is this happening just in the autofill extension, or even if you open the full 1Password app on your phone, even after authenticating with Face ID once?

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

If by "on your phone" you mean "on your iPad" then yep. :) I'm just not getting any FaceID prompt once it decides it's going to require my password, regardless of whether I'm opening the full app itself, or clicking the "Passwords" button in Safari, exactly as if the iPad had been entirely restarted.

• @VirtualWolf

This may seem like a funny question... but is it possible that the iPad is restarting? If the behavior is such that it appears exactly as if the iPad has restarted, I wonder if that is happening?

Ben

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

Hah, that was my first thought as well actually! But no, FaceID as normal works to unlock the iPad, I'm not prompted for my iPad password there.

• Well... I have to admit I'm scratching my head a bit here. I think at this point the next thing I'd recommend is:

1. Make sure you have your account credentials i.e. you can sign in at https://start.1password.com/
    2. Uninstall the 1Password for iOS app from the iPad
    3. Reinstall: 1Password for iOS on the App Store
    4. Sign into your account using the same credentials as step 1
    5. Adjust your security settings to match your expectations

Please give that a try and let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• Brente8934
    Brente8934
    Community Member

Same problem. Where do I go to take step 5 above?

• @Brente8934

The security settings can be found within the 1Password app under Settings > Security. :)

Ben

• Brente8934
    Brente8934
    Community Member

Found it. We'll see...

• Please let us know if you're having trouble. :+1: :)

Ben

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

Woops, I didn't see your reply, sorry Ben! I've done those steps, crossing fingers it works... 🤞🏻

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @VirtualWolf! Let us know how it goes :+1:

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

No dice I'm afraid. :( It was working after I reinstalled, I've just gone to use it again and it's prompting for the master password and there's no FaceID button.

Want me to raise a support ticket at this point?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@VirtualWolf:

We can certainly look at the logs and see if we spot anything strange there. To do this, I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your iOS device and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

Done! Ticket number is NUK-21437-512.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@VirtualWolf:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: I see that my colleague Garrett has already replied to you, so I will let you continue the conversation via email :)

ref: NUK-21437-512

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

For those following along at home, I had these suspicious entries in the diagnostic logs at the exact time I was opening 1Password and being prompted for the master password:

[LOCKSERVICE:(Main Thread):<OPLockService: 0x2824a49a0>] E secretInfoInSystemKeychain | Error fetching keychain info: NSCocoaErrorDomain:4864

[CRYPTO:(Secondary Thread 0x2806a6bc0):<B5UserAccount: 0x10520da00>] E unlockWithMasterUnlockKey: | Error decrypting active key set: Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=556 "Decryption failed" UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=, NSLocalizedDescription=Decryption failed, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Internal error: 556}

[UTILS:(Secondary Thread 0x2806a6bc0):<AGUserKeychain: 0x281d5a100>] E setData:forAccount:onServer:withDescription:error: | Error Domain=com.agilebits.onepassword.ErrorDomain Code=-25300 "The specified item could not be found in the keychain" UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=The specified item could not be found in the keychain} 

Garrett said it looked like a communication issue between 1Password and the Secure Enclave and had me do the following:
    1. Open 1Password, go into Settings > Security, disable Face ID.
    2. Open Settings.app, go into Face ID & Passcode > Other Apps, turn off 1Password in the list of apps allowed to use Face ID.
    3. Restart the iPad.
    4. Open Settings.app and re-enable Face ID for 1Password.
    5. Open 1Password and re-enable Face ID.

So far it's been 24 hours without a spurious master password prompt, which is much longer than I've managed to do previously.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @VirtualWolf! That's great to hear :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member

Thanks, one of our iPhones (11Pro) has similar behavior. It behaves with master password just like after restarting. It also locks up and freezes quite often, not related to 1Password - for example trying to copy from Safari to email. It appears like it runs out of memory or resources, freezes and restarts. Our other older iOS devices work just fine. I have not been able to figure out what is wrong with that iPhone.
    I’ll try VirtualWolf suggestion.

• @Fairgame

Please let us know how it goes. If you need us, we're close at hand.

• VirtualWolf
    VirtualWolf
    Community Member

Yeah I'm definitely calling it resolved at this point, it's been five days and it's still working perfectly. :) Thanks to @ag_ana and Garrett in the support team!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @VirtualWolf! I am glad to hear that things are working fine now :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.