I would like to request enhancements/options to the generated passwords

In many sites, password formulas must contain a combination of upper case, lower case, numbers 0-9, and one of the following characters ! @ # $
I usually select three words, adding two numbers, two capital letters and two characters in the mix. I always have to modify the generated password. On iOS, I've found it impossible because of dealing with dots instead of characters (unless I'm missing something). I end up typing a password in notes and then pasting it in the website (when paste isn't disabled) and in 1Password.

Having the four additionaI characters to select from for the separator at the least would help. Adding upper/lower case and numerics would be gravy.
Other than that, I am very happy and satisfied wtih 1Password!

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600005) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.15.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:separator

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @capn_morgan621 ,

You've posted this question in the Saving and autofilling forum, but it looks like you have an iPhone related question about the password generator. Is that correct? If so, let me know and I'll move it to the iOS forum.

Regardless, looking at my iPhone, when using the password generator I can switch between a Characters based password (a completely random password) and a Words based password (built out of random words and separated by hyphens/commas/spaces/periods/underscore - to your choosing).
    You can switch between the two by swiping left and right, and you have full control over it.

Also, while generating it, you can edit the generated password by pressing on the masked password (the black dots) and editing it with your keyboard. However, manually editing the password can hurt its entropy and strength, especially in worded passwords.

• capn_morgan621
    capn_morgan621
    Community Member

I understand I can edit edit on the iPhone, but editing the dots is difficult. The main issue isn't solely for iPhone.

The reason for having to edit a generated password, whether on iPhone or laptop, is due to the formula rules many sites that I frequent require. i.e. At least one of the characters !/@/#/$, at least one upper case letter, at least one lower case letter, and at least one numeral 0-9. Whether I choose characters or words for my password, it would have to be edited regardless.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Thanks for the followup @capn_morgan621 .
    However, I'm having a bit of troubles following your issue.

When I get to a new website where I want to sign up, I go to the password generator and then I adjust the newly generated password the way I need it to comply with the website's demands. I move the bar left and right to control the length of the password, and then under it there are options to control digits, symbols, the type of the password (random, worded etc) and more.

Can you please elaborate how are you finding yourself with passwords that do not comply with the website's requirements?
    Perhaps this short guide on how to change a password will help with some visual aid of what the password generator can do: https://support.1password.com/change-website-password/

• capn_morgan621
    capn_morgan621
    Community Member

Here is an example of the requirements. It's the last requirement specifically:

Password must include at least:
    • 1 Lowercase letter
    • 1 Number
    • 8-25 Characters
    • 1 Uppercase letter
    • 1 Special character ! @ # $

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the example @capn_morgan621

Firstly, I'd like to note that a website telling you exactly which special characters can be used and which ones cannot is quite an edge case, and I haven't seen such requirements on any of the websites I use so far :)

Secondly, I still don't see an issue though. In the password generator on the iPhone:
    1. Select a new "Characters" password (random password).
    2. Adjust the length of the password as needed (maximum 25 characters for this website).
    3. Adjust the amount of digits you want in the password.
    4. Adjust the amount of symbols you want in the password (which are special characters).

If the password that was generated contains a special symbol that is not one of the allowed symbols, simply generate a new one by adjusting one of the above settings and it will generate a new password. No need to manually edit the password (although you can).

Give that a try and let me know if you've managed to create a password that fits these requirements easily on your iPhone :)

• rbudish
    rbudish
    Community Member

I would like to amplify the OP's post. And agree that this is a needed feature. I think what the original poster was saying (and I agree) is that we generally like to use words to create passwords in 1Password. However, there are many sites that require symbols, numbers, and a certain number of characters. I understand that we can easily create a password that would meet the criteria (numbers, symbols, length) using the characters recipe, but if what if you'd prefer to use the words generator? In that case the only options are either to not use words at all OR to manually add on a number or symbol to the word password. But this latter option is not ideal for a variety of reasons, including that we probably stick the number or symbol at the end, which offers less randomness than placing it at random locations.

So I think what the OP was saying was that it would be nice if the words generator also included a feature where you could adjust a slider to insert a certain number of digits or symbols into the word password, without needing to just give up on words entirely and switch to random characters.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rbudish ,

Our 1Password X extension already offers digits and symbols within worded passwords. We're also working on unifying the UI and experience throughout all of our apps and extensions, so the generator should also be identical on all devices at some point in the future, which will allow you to generate worded passwords separated by symbols, like it allows you now in 1Password X.

For now, don't worry about adding a symbol or a digit at the end of the generated worded password. If the password is strong, adding a digit/symbol at the end won't hurt its entropy. Messing with the words' order or replacing words with your own words might hurt the password's strength, but adding stuff to an already strong password will not make it weaker :)

Thanks for the feedback and input! We're constantly working on improving 1Password and hopefully you will all be able to enjoy a better, more flexible password generator.

• rbudish
    rbudish
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_yaron - what's the difference between 1Password X and regular 1Password? I'm using 7.6.

I think I saw that yesterday I got an iOS update that added the option to have symbols and digits as separators, so yay for that!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rbudish ,

1Password X is the newest extension we offer, and it has advanced autofilling logic and workflow. You can check it out here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

We did just release an iOS update that added this feature to the password generator, and the next update of 1Password 7 for Mac will also contain this change in the generator! You can enjoy it right now if you don't want to wait, by installing the beta: https://support.1password.com/betas/

• rbudish
    rbudish
    Community Member

Ah - I use Safari so that's why I haven't tried 1Password X. Are there plans to extend 1Password X to Safari now that Safari 14 supports more standard extensions?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Yes, we’ve already brought the 1Password X experience to Safari in our latest 1Password 7 beta!

You can install and enjoy it right now if you’d like, or you can wait for the next update :)

This discussion has been closed.