Password generator feature requests

JSTee
JSTee
Community Member

It would be handy if
1) password generator remembered the type of password required for a particular entry
2) password generator could be given, and remember, the set of symbols allowed in a password recipe for a particular entry.

Or, there workarounds for the above.

Sorry if these features are available and I just haven’t discovered them.

Thanks for an excellent product and all your hard work

Regards,
JSTee

PS just discovered your spam block which I would say was a little over enthusiastic.

Comments

• @JSTee

Any feature such as this would require keeping tabs on each site and their individual setups in addition to ever-changing security models. I am not saying this is a bad idea. I just don't think it's possible at this point in time. Perhaps in the future, it could become a possibility, who knows.

I'm sorry about the spam blocker. It can be a bit overly protective.

• JSTee
    JSTee
    Community Member

Just to clarify, IWhat I’m actually suggesting is that when there is a password field in an item, you store alongside it, in the data structure for that item, the password generation rules for that particular password.

I’m not suggesting that you have any knowledge of what the web site requires, other than what we tell you.
    So instead of a password field being just

Record
    String Password
    End Record

where the Tyoe, Length, Symbols and Numbers just default to whatever was used for the last item changed

You store

Record
    String Password
    Enum Type Random | Memorable | PIN
    Int. Length
    Bool Symbols
    Bool Numbers
    String SymbolLlst
    End Record

So that next time we return to that item to change a password we are ready to go. Of course if the web site has changed its password policy, we have to make some changes.

The rules part should only be visible if we go to generate a password.

Regards,
    JSTee

• Hi @JSTee

There are some very interesting advancements coming from Apple and the password management community in this regard. There is a GitHub repository that is now tracking the password requirements for various sites:

https://github.com/apple/password-manager-resources/blob/main/README.md

We are currently using this repo with 1Password X, and will be looking into how we can expand that usage going forward. :+1:

Ben

• JSTee
    JSTee
    Community Member

Ok. Many thanks again Ben.

It seems that the problem of differing rules for passwords has been recognised and work is underway.

I wasn’t aware of this but will have a look through. I can understand why you wouldn’t want to be doing nugatory work if the matter is already in hand.

Regards,
    John

• Indeed! And we certainly intend to contribute back to said repository as appropriate. :) Hopefully eventually all of our apps / extensions will be able to take advantage of this work.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.