To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Transfer Vault When Leaving Employer

left3rd
left3rd
Community Member

I have a 1Password Family plan.
One of my vaults is for work, and the other vaults have personal logins and IDs.
I believe I will soon be leaving my job. I'd like to transfer the vault to their exclusive control.
One of the partners is a guest with view and edit permissions on the work vault.
How do I make that transfer? What are my options?

1Password Version: 7.6 (Mac), Windows
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: 1Password Family(?)
Referrer: forum-search:Transfer Vault When Leaving Employer

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @left3rd!

Does the partner have a separate 1Password account that they are already using (in addition to the guest account that they have with you)?

• left3rd
    left3rd
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana
    The partner does not have a 1Password account, aside from the guest access to my account.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@left3rd:

Thank you for the confirmation! In this case, you have a couple of options:

• They can create their own 1Password account, so they can transfer or import the vault's contents to their own account
    • You could export the data in this specific vault, and transfer the exported file. This is perhaps quicker, but data would not be encrypted in this case, so it would not be the most secure option.
  • left3rd
    left3rd
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Thanks for the information! I didn't know if a vault could be transferred or not.
    When the data is exported from a vault, what form does it take?
    If there's a knowledge base article I should read, please point me to it.
    Thanks!

• John
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2020

The ideal situation would be for them to create their own 1Password account, add that account to the same app they have the guest account added to, and then move their data from your vault to a vault in their own account:

Move and copy items

If for some reason that isn't feasible they may want to consider exporting to CSV or 1PIF, however these exports would be unencrypted and as such would have no protection.

How to export data from 1Password

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.