Old Master password in OSX desktop App

pvheck
pvheck
Community Member

I changed my Master password. It synced to my iOS App, OSX App and Chrome and Firefox extensions. All seemed to work, since I used Touch ID in my desktop app.

When I was asked for my Master password again due to the setting in Tab Security icw Touch ID I found out I have to login with my old password in the OSX desktop App version 7.6 (70600005). The present password does not work. Uninstall and reinstall the app did not solve this.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Comments

• Hi @pvheck

I'd be happy to help you get to the bottom of this. Do you have a 1Password membeship? If so, are you able to sign in at https://my.1password.com? Which password works there: old or new?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Ben

• pvheck
    pvheck
    Community Member

Yes, I can login at https://my.1password.eu/ with my new password.
    Also tested, I can not login with with my old password.

Peter

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@pvheck:

The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

Because of this, I think you might have an old Primary vault inside this app. Can you check your vault list and see if this is the case?

• pvheck
    pvheck
    Community Member

I could not find an old vault.
    But I just uninstalled the App, removed everything I found in ~/Library/ with 1password, onepassword and agilebits.
    Reinstalled the App and voilà, it works with the new password now.

Peter

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @pvheck! I am glad to hear that reinstalling the app helped. It does sound like you had an old Primary vault lingering around there.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• pvheck
    pvheck
    Community Member

Thanks!

FYI, I was a lastpass user for 10 years. 2 weeks ago I spent a weekend migrating to 1password and going through 1340 logins. I should have done this years ago, 1password is much better ;-)

• Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words, @pvheck. That is great to hear. ❤️🎉 Glad to hear we were able to get this sorted out and that you're enjoying 1Password. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.