data.1pif import does not work

Options
MikDev
MikDev
Community Member

I'm not able to import a simple data.1pif
Export from 1P Version 7.6 on macOS 10.14.6 and import into the same Version 1P 7.6 on macOS 10.15.7 - tried either with double-click or import function - it just hangs at the import screen - progress bar not moving. the data.1pif is very small 14.9 kb.... why does it not work ?
Thanx & regards

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: local file data.1pif
Referrer: forum-search:data.1pif import does not work

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MikDev!

I wonder if your 1Password app on the macOS 10.15.7 device is read-only? Have you added a 1Password Membership or a 1Password license to the 1Password app on that device already?

• MikDev
    MikDev
    Community Member
    Options

The one on the macOS 10.5.7 one is a company one with local & cloud storage - the other one is a normal local License, which synchronises with a local Vault (1Password.opvault) ...but export actually always worked so far...

• Ben
    Options

Hi @MikDev

If you export a different item to 1PIF and try to import it are the results the same?

Ben

• MikDev
    MikDev
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben - I tried it on different Macs of different clients (we manage 500 customers with 70'000 machines) and the import of 1.pif files just hangs uncompleted... there seems to be a problem with 1P 7.6 imports ?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MikDev:

Thank you for the confirmation. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Ben
    Options

@MikDev

I think Ana is spot on with the request for a diagnostic report here. In addition I think it would help for us to see a process sample from 1Password while it is hung. I'd like to get a sample from 1Password on your computer. Please reproduce the issue, then:

1. Note the time
    2. Open Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder of your Applications folder, or use Spotlight to find it.
    3. Search for "1Password 7".
    4. Select it and choose "Sample Process" from the Gear icon in the toolbar.
    5. When it is finished, save the sample to a file.
    6. Attach that file to your diagnostic report email
    7. Also include the time noted in step 1 in your message

This needs to be done while the issue is occurring. A sample is a "snapshot in time," so to speak, so it will only be helpful if it is taken during the issue. This will give us insight into what 1Password is doing, which in combination with the diagnostic report Ana asked for will help our development team better understand the problem.

Thank you!

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@MikDev

Sorry for the string of replies here but I've been chatting with development about this case this morning and we've had a further thought. Could you please let us know what the source of the 1PIF in question is? i.e. Are you exporting from a 1Password app? If so, what version is that app? Also has the 1PIF been modified in any way since being exported?

If you could include that information as well that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ben

• MikDev
    MikDev
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag-ana & Ben - her is the Support ID [#XLY-14464-678]

Thank You very much & have a nice weeken

MikDev

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MikDev:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: XLY-14464-678

• hsbonline
    hsbonline
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the similar trouble. My former company sent me an export of personal 1password passwords from my former company personal vault. It's a data.1pif file, but I can't do anything with it. On the import tab, it only gives me the options (1Password Keychain, 1Password 6, Older 1Password). I'm presently on 7.8 but have no idea what they are on - communicating through lawyers.

• rudy
    edited April 2021
    Options

@hsbonline,

Import -> Older 1Password -> Using the Mac app

Do steps 4 and 5.

• hsbonline
    hsbonline
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I'm not even able to start the import as the file is grayed out when trying to select it.

• rudy
    Options

@hsbonline,

Is it possible the file has another extension associated with it but that is being hidden from you? If you get info on the file in the Finder (select file, hit Command-I on the keyboard) and navigate to the Name & Extension section:

This discussion has been closed.