Email Accounts + Webmail

smackie
smackie
Community Member

I have a bunch of email accounts that are both IMAP/SMTP and webmail. I have them fully filled in with all the IMAP/SMTP server info and full username and passwords.

However, the accounts are also accessible via webmail. I have duplicate login entries for those. This works but it always flags up as a warning because the password is the same in the email server and login entries.

Is there a way to collapse these and have the email account also hold a URL that'll match in a browser (so that the email account entry pops up as a match on the browser URL)? I've experimented but can't seem to make this work.

Cheers!

Scott...

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smackie!

You could put all the information in the Login item as custom fields and sections, and get rid of the Email item. Would that work for you?

• smackie
    smackie
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana - thanks for the reply!

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate then. What point is there in the email account item type then? One of the chief reasons we use it is to keep all the info together in a straightforward template. If we have to replicate that in a login entry, then it slightly defeats the point.

Can I make a suggestion? Would it be possible to add an official full "website" URL field to the Email item type? If set, it's the URL of the webmail server for the account and should pop up in URL completion matches. If that's not possible, maybe we could at least have a way to flag that the email account and login items are linked and to not flag them as warnings if the two passwords are the same?

I appreciate I can work around this by piling all the info into a login item but that seems just a little too kludgy for this...

Cheers!

Scott...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@smackie:

Thank you for the feedback!

Okay, I'll play devil's advocate then. What point is there in the email account item type then?

I suppose that the idea was that not every Login item is an email login, and likewise maybe not every email account has a web login associated to it. So I think this is why it made sense to keep those two categories separate.

With regards to your suggestion, we are considering ways to improve the Watchtower notifications, so it's something that is definitely on our radar :)

• OHCA
    OHCA
    Community Member

I would like to strongly 'second' the suggestion from @smackie
    I'm administering a business account (very small non-profit) and my co-worker is very confused by the multiple entries for the email accounts (I've duplicated with a special 'webmail' login just like Scott)

We have multiple email accounts, and now to go back and recreate them all as logins is time-intensive.

maybe not every email account has a web login associated to it.

I think it's a rare email account that doesn't have some kind of webmail access these days??

I DO appreciate the "email" as a separate item choice, just think it should show up in the 'suggested items' in 1password mini in the browser.

(Thanks for continuing to make an awesome product)

Kellan

• We'd certainly like to make item categories more flexible, such that for example email account items could have a URL for webmail along with username and password that could be filled. We're just not there yet.

I think it's a rare email account that doesn't have some kind of webmail access these days??

While that does certainly seem to be the case today, when this feature was designed (circa 2006) webmail was less common. For example, Gmail, which largely popularized webmail, wasn't made available to the public until 2004, and didn't exit beta status until 2009.

There is definitely room for improvement here. It just hasn't yet bubbled to the top of the to-do list. Hopefully someday soon. :)

Ben

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member

I also request that the Email Account have a webmail field that the user could "open and fill". Virtually every email service today has both IMAP/POP and webmail access, even corporate.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this @garyhooper :+1: :)

• TwinTraveller
    TwinTraveller
    Community Member

While I understand the history behind it, I really hope to this improved in the near future. After all, it is 2020, which means that Gmail has been out of beta for 11 years :)

It just does not make sense to have to manually add dedicated email fields for every email account you add. This is not efficient and eventually will lead to inconsistencies.

Either extend the email accounts section with URL, or perhaps an alternative solution would be to provide some kind of (user-customisable) section templates which contain different fields and can easily be added to entries of different categories.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback on this as well @TwinTraveller :+1: :)

• abhijitb81
    abhijitb81
    Community Member

Hi Folks,

i recently stumbled upon this thread because I have the same bothering problem with my eMail-Accounts.

I'd like to know if there is an update on the horizon which adressing that. Or maybe a good Workaround without having the credentials twice :)

Kind Regards from Switzerland.
    Stay all health

Abhijit

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@abhijitb81:

I don't believe we have changes planned for this in the near future, so at the moment the best workaround I suggest is the one I mentioned earlier in the discussion (this is the method that I personally use, and it works fine for me, I am hoping it will make this easier to use for you too).

• aliminat0r
    aliminat0r
    Community Member

Solving that would solve this issue, too!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed @aliminat0r :+1:

This discussion has been closed.