I need an iOS password generator to create PW easy to type in at work

rsx1
rsx1
Community Member
edited October 2020 in iOS

I use several shared workstations at my job. I obviously can't install 1P on them, but I need to repeatedly type my password into those computers everyday. I need my phone to generate passwords that are easy to remember and type, to be used outside of the program. Does the app have a dedicated password generator that I can use for this purpose, perhaps creating made up words that are easy to remember? Otherwise I wind up creating them in my head, saving them on 1P, and then 1P tells me they aren't secure. Well duh! That's what I have 1P for, but it doesn't have that function. Maybe its in there and I missed it?

1Password Version: iOS 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:dedicated password generator

Comments

• rsx1
    rsx1
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Sorry. Duplicate comment.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Password generator not in ios or not easy to find.
  • Hi @rsx1

Our password generator does include a 'memorable' option which creates words-based passwords. How memorable those words will be depends on your memory, I suppose, but you can regenerate the password until you find something acceptable. I find that once I've typed the password half a dozen times or so it starts to engrain pretty well, even if it contains words that aren't generally part of my vocabulary.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• rsx1
    rsx1
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

That's fine, and I've used it. The "memorable" part isn't all that important. I can copy from my phone screen, though I need to type them in sometimes 6 or 8 times each day and copying does get tedious. A fictional word would be easier to reproduce without constantly looking at my phone or watch. Another problem is that this function is stuck at a minimum 3 words. Too many characters for some of the programs I use that specify "no more than X characters" or "exactly X characters" for passwords. Unfortunately that's the real world I live in (medical and healthcare programs). I can't change them, so 1P needs to adapt to the needs of the programs that are out there. I guess no way to create a single fictional letter-number word of specified length?

Also, is there any way to just access the generator without creating a website logon?

• rsx1
    rsx1
    Community Member

Looking at your generator, I now see it creates randoms, though only down to 8 digits. PIN can go to three. Perhaps you could allow random to go down to 5 or 6 digit letter-number combos. That would solve my problem.

• rsx1
    rsx1
    Community Member

I put this in another thread but maybe it belongs here.
    Suggestion - ability of PW generator to create a nonsense word of any length over 5 digits, combining numbers/letters. Disclosure: I used to be a LastPass subscriber. I didn't like it and now subscribe to 1P, but one thing LP had was this ability to create words. I keep LP on my phone, without data, just to use their generator. I would certainly like to delete it as soon as 1P does something similar.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rsx1:

Suggestion - ability of PW generator to create a nonsense word of any length over 5 digits, combining numbers/letters.

Certainly, 1Password can help you with this :+1: See these instructions to see how to create a random password with both numbers and letters, of the length you wish.

• rsx1
    rsx1
    Community Member

Thank you.
    Correct me if I'm wrong - but I think the minimum length is 8 characters. Unfortunately, some programs or logons require - or I want to use - fewer than 8 characters. Wonder if this could be adjusted to fewer characters minimum - like the PIN entry?
    Also wondering if all I need is to generate a password, but don't want to create a new logon with a name and ID - any way to do this? Generating a whole logon entry then deleting it just to make a password is a bit of a time waster. Not everything I do requires logging in to a website, and 1P is not on my workstations to log me in. Sometimes I just need a secure password.
    Thanks for any help you can provide. I think the feature I seek is missing in 1P, though. Suggesting to add it in.

• rsx1
    rsx1
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Followed the directions. Unfortunately 8 characters appears to be the minimum length allowed. Some software I must use at work requires fewer, or certain specific mix of cap and small letters, numbers and characters. I realize 1P works great for most normal program logons, but medical programs are pretty specific (and often IT challenged) and I need a generator that can be more flexible. Thanks, I'll keep checking back, keep using 1P, and hope that the generator gets some more attention in this regard.

Actually, having this on my Apple Watch has proven to be a big help, and I thank you for that!

I do appreciate all the 1P support!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rsx1:

Correct me if I'm wrong - but I think the minimum length is 8 characters. Unfortunately, some programs or logons require - or I want to use - fewer than 8 characters. Wonder if this could be adjusted to fewer characters minimum - like the PIN entry?

That's correct, the minimum password length is 8 characters. For security reasons, we cannot suggest passwords shorter than that, although we understand that there are unfortunately scenarios where you must use shorter passwords still. In those cases, I recommend using the password generator anyway, and remove the required number of characters manually, so at least you can get a random password.

Also wondering if all I need is to generate a password, but don't want to create a new logon with a name and ID - any way to do this? Generating a whole logon entry then deleting it just to make a password is a bit of a time waster. Not everything I do requires logging in to a website, and 1P is not on my workstations to log me in. Sometimes I just need a secure password.

Yes, you can do this:

1. Open the 1Password for iOS app
    2. Tap on the "+" button to create a new item
    3. In the list that appears, choose Password instead of Login

You will now be able to use the password generator. Once you are done, you can choose whether you want to save this password item, or tap on the Cancel button in the top left corner of the screen to exit without saving.

• rsx1
    rsx1
    Community Member

Thank you so much! I hadn’t seen the option to simply create a password without a total login. And of course editing a random password to make it shorter where needed is a great suggestion.

Also, being able to see a longer password on my watch as I’m typing it in at a workstation is a real lifesaver.

You have put tremendous thought into this program. The deeper I look into what it can do the better I find it to be. Thanks again!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are very welcome @rsx1! And thank you so much for the kind words :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.