Help adding all my mother's passwords

projectguru
projectguru
Community Member
edited October 2020 in Families

I just subscribed to 1Password Families and while there are a lot of tutorials and help articles I find that none make certain things clear. For example:

1. Helping family members add all their passwords: For example, I need to help my mother transfer all her passwords to 1Password. She has them all written down in a text file. What's the best/fastest way to do this? Also, she lives in another city so I don't have access to her devices which brings me to the next question: Can I somehow do the above from my computer? Any downsides with doing it this way?

2. About https://my.1password.com/: Does each family member get their own login for https://my.1password.com ? Or I as the Family organizer am the only one that has this such "Dashboard" (or whatever you call it)?

3. About Syncing Type: While posting this question I am being asked to indicate the Syncing Type. I can't find this info anywhere. How can I find out?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X Catalina
Sync Type: I don't know

Comments

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

I recently took on something similar with/for some of my relatives. Your 1Password configuration options depend on the level of trust and hand-holding (support) you're taking into the 1Password project for your family member(s).

In my family's case, I retained the non-shared private/personal vault (whatever AG folks officially term it) for individual members to secure access info they do not wish me to access under any circumstances. Anything they put in there is THEIR responsibility to enter correctly, maintain, and use as and when they see fit; I provide NO support for its contents since I have no access to them.

I also set up a shareable vault between each member and myself (and no one else) to provide the main repository for access info to which they WANT my support in creating, modifying, maintaining, and troubleshooting. Once this shared vault was created and their "paper system" access info entered into it and successfully tested, I removed myself from sharing their vault so I don't have routine access to it and thus don't see its contents until and unless I'm requested to if and when they have an issue with a particular website or password. In that case, I use my FO powers to add myself to the vault, make the changes necessary, then remove myself once again.

Be advised you can also employ remote control software (OSX comes with a useable one) to either directly control a family member's computer, share access to the computer with the family member, or use read-only mode to help guide the family member in its use.

Hope the above gives you some ideas that may help with setting up your system for your family member(s).

• crazycaveman
    crazycaveman
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

Hopefully these will point you in the right direction, but others will probably chime in with more complete directions:
    1. You could try to format her text document as a CSV file and import that; there's a support document to detail how to do it. As for doing it from your computer, only downside is how you transfer the file. Obviously, any unencrypted medium (email) would expose the passwords, but if you can get the file on a USB drive or something when you see her, that would be good. You'd just have to import the data into a vault that you also give her access to (not a big deal).
    2. Each person does indeed get their own login, which they use for my.1password.com, the browser extension, mobile app, and/or the computer program. You, as the organizer, can then give them permissions to vaults (and the family, as a whole) depending on what access they need.
    3. Syncing type is for "advanced" users, not something you'll probably need. If you want more info, I dug around and found this support article (I wasn't aware it was possible that way...)

I might suggest doing all the leg work setting up your mother's account and setting her default vault to one you can also access (i.e. not her Private vault); that way, if she gets in a pickle, you can grant yourself access to that vault and help out. Good luck!

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@projectguru, I tried to leave you a comment earlier, but it went into a queue, apparently awaiting moderation. I see no record of the comment and have received no notification from any official support folks. Very odd.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@williakz:

The post should appear now :+1:

And thank you for the assist here to @crazycaveman as well :)

• projectguru
    projectguru
    Community Member

Thank you all for your replies but I'm still lost in setting up other family members. For example, I installed 1Password on my son's Mac but I don't know what his user name or password are when logging into the 1Password app. I arrived at the screen where it asks for a user name, secret key and Master password but that doesn't make sense because I don't know how to get those pieces of info.

Totally confused 🤪

I searched for this info but nothing I found walks you through how to do this. Can someone please give me a step by step on how to add family members?

Thanks!

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@projectguru, I suggest you hold up doing anything other than reading the 1Password documentation until the workweek resumes and the official support techs are here in force. They'll get you up and running and setting up family accounts in no time. In the meantime, going around to different computers and accounts and making selections without a good idea of just how you want things to end up could result in a tangled mess that will just have to be cleaned up before you can start fresh. Once you get on track, the process is pretty straightforward. Good luck.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@projectguru:

You will have to invite your son to your Families account first:

Get started with 1Password Families

Once his account has been created, he will have a Secret Key and a Master Password that he can use to login into the 1Password app :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@williakz:

I suggest you hold up doing anything other than reading the 1Password documentation until the workweek resumes and the official support techs are here in force.

For reference and for everyone else who might be reading this, we offer support in the weekends too :+1: I work weekends myself, for example ;)

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@ag_ana: I believe you and other 1P Team Members have remarked on many occasions that weekend support, while nominally available, is less than the full-court press found here during the week. That was the point I was making to the OP, obviously a newcomer to 1Password and its modes of support. You might also note that the OP's multiple requests for assistance went unanswered by "official" 1Password support all weekend long.

• We replied in ~13 hrs, which is within our goal of 24 hrs. :) In any event, we're getting a bit off topic here. :+1:

Ben

• projectguru
    projectguru
    Community Member

I'm still confused here. When I go to my son's Mac and click on the "Join now" button in the email he received I get:

Out of curiosity I signed into his gmail on my Mac and get this:

Why does the sign-in screen on my computer have a secret key prepopulated already and not on the other screen?

The other thing I don't understand is how does each member get their own secret key. PLEASE CLARIFY THIS FOR ME.

I need to onboard other family members and I am hoping to get this down so it's not so confusing next time.

By the way, is there phone support? I understand that help on forums is inherently slower but at the same time I think the family onboarding process is confusing and I've already wasted too much time trying to figure this out. Reaching my point of frustration here.

Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@projectguru:

Why does the sign-in screen on my computer have a secret key prepopulated already and not on the other screen?

Because you have logged in to that account on your computer already. On the other computer, you probably have never logged in yet, so the website cannot prepopulate any information for you yet.

The other thing I don't understand is how does each member get their own secret key. PLEASE CLARIFY THIS FOR ME.

Once you invite your family members to the account, and they complete the procedure, they get a Secret Key as part of the account creation process (right after they choose their own Master Password):

Invite your family

• projectguru
    projectguru
    Community Member

@ag_ana

1: You can see on my first screenshot that there is no secret key there. So I'm back to square one: How does my son get his secret key (again please look at the screenshot from his Mac). I already read that page you suggested about inviting family members and I don't see anything there helping with my situation.

2: You didn't answer my question about phone support.

Thank you.

• @projectguru

Where did your son accept the invitation? The Secret Key will be stored wherever he accepted it. If he signed up in a web browser then he would've been forced to download an Emergency Kit before completing the sign-up process. That Emergency Kit may be in his downloads folder. If he accepted the invitation and completed the sign-up process using one of the 1Password apps instead, then the Secret Key would've been added to that app. If he's not finding it the best course may be to delete his account and re-invite him so he can complete the process again. I'd recommend doing so in a web browser, so that the Emergency Kit will be downloaded.

Get to know your Emergency Kit

I apologize but we do not offer telephone-based support at this time. We're happy to help either here or via email, though we'd request that you work with us through one or the other.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.