Is the 1Password Windows desktop app malicious?

Since the last month or so, I've noticed very weird behavior with the 1Password desktop app on my Windows 10 PC. Suddenly, the 1Password desktop app starts up by itself, and random characters start filling up in the field where I generally enter my "Master Password". Sometimes it is 6-7 characters long, and sometimes its more than 15. And then immediately after, I get a windows pop-up that says "App detected on secure desktop", just as what another user mentioned in another forum post here.

I took some pictures of the app during this behavior - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-7iCkjU2FZgye23Tu6Sb3k-oV9xkMKn4?usp=sharing

I have scanned my PC for virus, malware, trojan using MalwareBytes Premium and Super Anti Spyware, in addition to the regular Windows defender, but none of them have found any sort of malicious presence on my PC. And it is only with the 1Password desktop app that I get this sort of behavior, followed by the "secure desktop" pop-up.

The most recent occurrence of this happened just an hour back, and I tried to uninstall the app via control panel, but other programs in the list started getting clicked, so I had to turn off the PC.

Is it possible that the windows desktop app is malicious and has been compromised? If so, how do I fix it? It was the latest version (v7) available.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @manishgiri 👋

While I can assure you that 1Password for Windows itself isn't malicious even in the slightest sense of the word, it's certainly possible that you might have something else malicious installed onto your machine that's mucking about. Could you shoot me and my team an email over to support+security@1password.com so that we can take a closer look at things with you?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received here so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• manishgiri
    manishgiri
    Community Member

Hello @Blake

Thank You for looking into the matter. I have sent an e-mail to the address you mentioned, but haven't yet received a reply with the ticket number. If and when it does reach me, I'll post it here.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @manishgiri :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.