Add username to login with 1PasswordX

How do you add a username to a login with 1PasswordX. I understand there's no longer a convert to login option, but when a password was already generated in the desktop version of 1Password, the only way to add a username seems to convert it in 1Password and then add it there.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @etc .

The 1Password desktop app and the old companion extension will generate a "Password" item when you use the generator. This is a failsafe feature to make sure you won't use this password and then forget to add it to your actual "Login" item. 1Password X does not create "Password" items, it simply allows you to save new logins and bypass that whole situation.

Here's how such a workflow usually works:
    1. Get to a new website and manually input your information in the signup/sign-in form.
    2. 1Password X will show up inside the username/password field and suggest proper actions (e.g. it will suggest to save it in 1Password or it will suggest a new strong password).
    3. If you select to save the login in 1Password or the new suggested strong password, the save prompt will automatically show up, allowing you to save it as a new "Login" item.

Alternatively, you can manually generate your own password:
    1. Click the 1Password X icon on the top right corner of your browser and unlock it.
    2. Click the big PLUS icon to reveal the menu and select the "Password Generator" (first option in the list).
    3. Generate your own password, then click on "Autofill" so 1Password will put this new password in the website you're trying to sign up for. When you click on "Autofill", the save prompt will again automatically spawn and will allow you to save this website as a new "Login" item.

At no point will you encounter "Password" item types in 1Password X, unless you had such items from the desktop app. If you do have some "Password" items in your 1Password, and you want to convert them to a proper "Login" item, go to the website that the password belongs to, manually fill in your username, then autofill the password with the "Password" item, and click the "Save in 1Password" button that shows up underneath the field so that 1Password will pop up and ask you if you'd like to save it as a new login.

I hope that clarifies things. Let me know if you require further assistance with this :)

• brendonmccarthy
    brendonmccarthy
    Community Member

I came looking for a solution to what I think is a related issue. Two examples:

a) When creating a new account on a site where the password is asked for on a screen after the username/email, 1Password X will generate a new password and ask to save but it will not save the username/email. You must then open 1Password X, select Login, edit, open 1Password web, manually enter the username, and click Save.

b) When creating a new password on a forgot password screen, 1Password X will again generate a new password but there is no username/email to save, thus again requiring the 6 steps mentioned above.

Solution: If 1Password X is saving a new Login and does not detect a username, it should prompt the end user to input in a username. IF the user does not want to input a username, simply bypass by clicking enter/OK.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @brendonmccarthy! I will be happy to pass your feedback to the developers :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @brendonmccarthy ,

I just wanted to mention that in scenario A you wrote, you need to save the username/email by clicking the "Save in 1Password" button before you proceed to the password page. That way you will have a proper login item with both the username and password without you having to manually edit the username into it later.

In scenario B, when you generate a new password, the 1Password save prompt will show up, asking you if you'd like to save it as a new login or if you'd like to update the existing login. Make sure you select to update the existing login, and it will overwrite the old password with that new one you just generated, while keeping the username and all the other information of the original login item.

If you encounter a website where it doesn't work like I describe here, let us know the URL and we'll gladly look into it.

• brendonmccarthy
    brendonmccarthy
    Community Member

@ag_yaron

Scenario A - multi-step: Yes, that could work, if the user remembers to manually save because 1Password does not prompt to save unless it detects a password field. If 1Password detects and asks to save Username/Email fields automatically, that would likely solve for this case.

Scenario B - forgot: Yes, if the login exists already but the use case here is when the Login does not already exist in 1Password. The reason the password was forgotten is because it was not already saved in 1Password.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope my explanations give more support for improvements!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2020

@brendonmccarthy

Yes, 1Password does show up and asks if you'd like to save the username field even if there's no password field on the page in most cases. You can test it on Amazon's login or Gmail's login. Simply start typing a new email/username that 1Password doesn't recognizes and it will show the "Save in 1Password" button even though there's no password field on the page (there is one in the next page though, and you can save that too).

In scenario B, if there is no login/password item yet for the website in question, then when you generate a new password, the save prompt will only suggest to save it as a new login, and will not suggest to update an existing item. Regardless, in both cases the save prompt should show up.

As you can see, 1Password should cover all possible scenarios. There are some websites where this might not work as I described due to how they are built or designed, in which case, as I mentioned earlier, please do share the links so we can investigate and improve 1Password accordingly :)

• brendonmccarthy
    brendonmccarthy
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Scenario B - I think there is confusion as to the initial inquiry. The desired end result is to be able to add a Username when there is only a Password field. Yes, the Password field can be saved as a new Login but that new Login will not have a Username. Currently, there is no way to add a Username at the same time.

To add a Username to a new Login that only has a Password (b/c only a Password field exists on the site), you must first Save the Login, then go open 1Password, click edit the new Login, which opens 1Password site (in new window/tab), click into field and type the Username, click to Save the Login, and close the new window/tab.

The last sentence is what I am inquiring as to an improved workflow in which 1Password detects that a Username is missing when saving a New Login with only a Password and prompts to enter the Username.

Let me know if I can provide any further clarification.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Ah, I see what you mean here @brendonmccarthy .

Indeed, if the login page in which you save the login on has only a password field, that will be the only thing that 1Password will collect and save in the new login item. We'll investigate how common this is and if there's a simple way to add such a feature if needed.

In addition, manually editing the login item and adding the username is not the only way to get the missing username into the login item. I personally find it more convenient to log out of the website, then get to the proper login page (instead of the signup page which might only have a password field), then type in my username there and save it. It will add the username to the existing login item without having to open a new tab and manually editing :)

Thanks for the feedback! Much appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.