How does 1password find a password for a specific application? How to bind a login to a specific app

Options
legeana
legeana
Community Member

I am trying to use 1password on iOS to log in into an app developed by brightenergy.com, it's probably a fairly small app: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1500409256
Most of the time when I use some app 1password is smart enough to find a relevant password to autofill. However it doesn't work for this specific app.
I know on Android 1password creates a special field with the app id (com.android.application), however iOS seems to work differently.

Questions:

• Is there a way to make bright energy app (or potentially other apps) use a specific login entry from 1password?
  • What mechanism is used to match a login and an app in 1password on iOS?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14.0
Sync Type: my.1password.com

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @legeana

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'd be happy to help with that.

I know on Android 1password creates a special field with the app id (com.android.application), however iOS seems to work differently.

The concept is similar, but with autofill on iOS the onus to handle this properly is on the app you want to fill into, rather than on autofill. In order to have the appropriate item suggested the app in question must define an Associated Domain as part of their metadata that they submit to Apple. This Associated Domain would have to match the URL in the website field on your item for them. For example, the Facebook app has an Associated Domain of facebook.com such that any Login items you have that have that URL listed as a website will be matched. If the app doesn't specify an Associated Domain at all, then it isn't possible to autofill to suggest a match, and will instead show all possible results. That's exactly the case here. The 'bright' app doesn't have an Associated Domain. This would need to be added by the app developer in order to be more compatible with autofill.

Apple has developer documentation available on this, here:

Supporting Associated Domains | Apple Developer Documentation

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• legeana
    legeana
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben, thank you so much for your detailed response, this is exactly what I was looking for :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @legeana! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.