Did anybody succeed in deploying 1Password to macOS using Microsoft Intune

Options
sv3n
sv3n
Community Member

We are currently evaluating 1Password for our company. As we are using Intune to roll out other Software to Windows and Mac we want to do the same with 1Password, because manual installations are not really the way to go in an enterprise environment.

I've succeeded to rollout 1Password to Windows easily using the Microsoft Win32 Content Prep Tool.

I've partly succeeded to do the same for macOS using the Intune App Wrapping Tool for Mac as described by Microsoft. The software is rolled out to the macs and can be used there without any problem, but unfortunately Intune reports

Error code: 0x87D13BA2
One or more apps contain invalid bundleIDs.

I've created an issue for the IntuneAppUtil.

Did anyone here succeed in deploying 1Password automatically?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hi @sv3n

I brought this up with our business support team, as well as our 1Password for Mac development team. At present we don't have access to Microsoft Intune or an environment where we could test 1Password against it. As such it seems the level of support we're going to be in a position to provide is fairly limited. It was pointed out to me that there is an outstanding upstream issue filed that seems to be blocking successful deployments:
    https://github.com/packagesdev/packages/issues/69

One of the comments associated with that was:

the side effect of this missing value is that if they're doing some kind of deploy at login, it will deploy every login even if the version of [1Password for Mac] has not changed

That is likely less that desirable, and as such I'm not sure I could endorse deploying the software in this manner at this time. That said, your point about manual installations in an enterprise environment is well taken and I'm going to continue the conversation with the team about how we might address that.

Ben

ref: internal/business-roadmap#134

• sv3n
    sv3n
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Ben, but I don't think that this is the issue as

1. In my case 1Password is deployed and works without problems on the target device, but an error (0x87D13BA2: One or more apps contain invalid bundleIDs) is reported back.
    2. Your PackageInfo already contains the information mentioned in the linked article. Here is the first line from your PackageInfo:
    <pkg-info format-version="2" identifier="com.agilebits.pkg.onepassword" version="7.6" relocatable="true" overwrite-permissions="false" followSymLinks="false" useHFSPlusCompression="true" install-location="/Applications" auth="none">

If your team has any further ideas I will be happy to try them out and get you ready for intune deployment ;-)

OT: Regarding the importance of intune: I guess Microsoft was smart in making Intune a part of the Microsoft 365 package. So even small companies like we get access to central device management without needing to pay extra or having any local servers. And even if we only have about 30 employees I can tell you, that central deployments are a huge IT time saver in home office first times.

If you want to test 1Password deployment through Intune all you will need is a single "Microsoft 365 Business Premium" subscription for 20 USD per month.

• Ben
    Options

I don't think that this is the issue as

Correct; sorry, I didn't mean to imply the two issues were the same. I was pointing out that there is a separate known issue which you may run into if deploying this setup.

If you want to test 1Password deployment through Intune all you will need is a single "Microsoft 365 Business Premium" subscription for 20 USD per month.

Thanks @sv3n. Generally we're not going to be able to provide support for specific 3rd party tools, but the conversation is ongoing about this particular situation. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.