Is it possible to use login aliases (more than 1 "username" field)?

pecus
pecus
Community Member

I have an identity on a network of sites that accepts my email or my network username in login fields.
For instance, on some sites I need to authenticate with thisismyemail@domain.com while on other sites I have to use thisismyusername
Despite linking logins in 1Password, Watchtower flags me for reused passwords. The password is reused because it is the same identity. Is there a way to have autofill work with a single password save, with multiple domains/sites and multiple usernames?
I checked the HTML inputs and unfortunately there is no way to differentiate by their name which one requires the username and which the full email address.

1Password Version: 7.4.2 (70402004)
Extension Version: Version 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: Family/Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:login alias

Comments

• @pecus

There is not currently a way to accomplish this, though it has been mentioned a few times. I can certainly see where it would be valuable, based upon my own needs.

• pecus
    pecus
    Community Member

Well, if there's a suggestion box I'd say it should go in it :) although I understand it is not a high priority request

• Will do. :)

• chrisocowan
    chrisocowan
    Community Member

I have a variant of this request. My Apple iCloud account because of historical reasons, comes up with the username as @me.com or @icloud.com.

I realized ages ago, that I could put in multiple URLs, however, this does not solve this problem. Many of the apple apps insist on filling out the username in the @me.com form, despite my efforts to force the @icloud.

I also have this situation with certain mobile apps, where it accepts an email or my email as the "username"

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2020

@chrisocowan:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this as well! Feedback noted :+1: :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#16

• chrisocowan
    chrisocowan
    Community Member

Thanks for noting my feedback.

Actually, I meant to say above that have situations where my mobile number or email is accepted. I also have situations where an account number, username or email is accepted.

A second user case, just came to mind. There are multiple sites that will accept my google, github, or AppleId for login. In general, I try to generate a unique id for each web service, but in some situations it might be logical to use the third party.
    In some of these cases, multiple login types are accepted.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have a link/cross reference indicating that this website uses a third party auth service.

• Actually, I meant to say above that have situations where my mobile number or email is accepted. I also have situations where an account number, username or email is accepted.

Gotcha! Could you help me understand what the motivation behind documenting these would be? I've definitely seen cases where this happens, but I've never thought to want to be able to fill both. I usually put one of them in the username field, and then if desired I'll create a field in a custom section to track the other. But I never fill the one in the custom section.

but in some situations it might be logical to use the third party.

What would those situations be? I can see the value of logging in using a 3rd party provider (Apple, Google, etc) for someone who isn't using a password manager. But for someone who understands the value of secure unique passwords this seems like a step backwards?

Thanks!

Ben

• chrisocowan
    chrisocowan
    Community Member

Thanks for answering

Gotcha! Could you help me understand what the motivation behind documenting these would be? I've definitely seen cases where this happens, but I've never thought to want to be able to fill both. I usually put one of them in the username field, and then if desired I'll create a field in a custom section to track the other. But I never fill the one in the custom section.

So, this first one happened the other today, with my wireless provider. I had two accounts and the vendor was insisting upon merging to their new "SSO". (I've run into this with AT&T, Sony, and Red Hat, recently).

And of course, the last time this happened I was on iOS, not a computer. So, it was a little painful.

What would those situations be? I can see the value of logging in using a 3rd party provider (Apple, Google, etc) for someone who isn't using a password manager. But for someone who understands the value of secure unique passwords this seems like a step backwards?

In my case, I only do this with development pipeline (CI/CD) services. So, this is mainly centered around my Github user.
    In a few moments of weakness, I have gotten lazy and used my google id. (Probably a site whose registration didn't send the confirmation, and I was impatient).

In general, I would say I have too many ids, and sometimes forget when I obtained them. So, may need some historical clues. I've tried to get creative with tags in the past, as a stop gap.

• And thank you for the additional context. :) I'll be happy to share the feedback with the rest of the team.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.