1Password forgot my passwords

TechnoKidd
TechnoKidd
Community Member

Hello,

I’ve been trying (for over a month now) to get my account working again with no luck. For some reason, suddenly 1Password forgot all my login info. My master password, emergency password, etc. won’t work any more. I’ve never changed anything in my account.

All I do is make new passwords for new accounts on websites and save them in 1Password. I’m not sure how I could have done something to cause this. I don’t mess with anything in my account unless I have to.

Please help! I’m totally confused on what happened.

Michael

Comments

• Hi @TechnoKidd

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble accessing 1Password. You mentioned an emergency password... I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, but do you have a copy of your Emergency Kit? If so, are you able to use the information on it to sign in at https://start.1password.com/ ?

Please let me know.

Ben

• TechnoKidd
    TechnoKidd
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

None of my Emergency Kit info is accepted on my iPad.

I finally got my iPhone’s copy of 1Password to accept my fingerprint again, but it still won’t let me have access to the account info there either (in the sync tab (Settings, 1Password Account)).

It’s also telling me to get a membership, but above that message it shows that
    “It found my account”🥺
    ...it won’t accept my password there either.

• TechnoKidd
    TechnoKidd
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

...Oh yeah, my Emergency Kit info seems to have become worthless. None of it seems to work either. My account says I’m still a paying customer too. I’m on auto-pay. So no problem there.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2020

@TechnoKidd

I understand the 1Password for iOS app is not presently showing you your account data. If you use a computer to access the https://start.1password.com/ web app, and fill in the details from your Emergency Kit, are you able to unlock 1Password there?

Also, you mentioned:

I finally got my iPhone’s copy of 1Password to accept my fingerprint again, but it still won’t let me have access to the account info there either (in the sync tab (Settings, 1Password Account)).

Do you see a vault called 'Primary' in the 1Password for iOS app? If so, that is the source of the difficulty... with a Primary vault the password required to unlock 1Password on the app that has that vault is different from your 1Password.com account password.

Ben

• TechnoKidd
    TechnoKidd
    Community Member

Hey Ben, I do have a Primary vault. Should I move all those passwords to another vault and delete the Primary one?

Also I’m going to use my computer for the first thing you talked about and let you know how that goes.

Michael

• Also I’m going to use my computer for the first thing you talked about and let you know how that goes.

Great; so that we can verify that you know the password that you'll need to unlock 1Password going forward please do this first.

Hey Ben, I do have a Primary vault. Should I move all those passwords to another vault and delete the Primary one?

Yes, once we know that you know your account password (i.e. the one you use to unlock 1Password at https://start.1password.com) then yes, the data in that vault should be moved to an account-based vault and the Primary vault should be deleted. 1Password will then unlock using your account password instead of the Primary vault password.

Ben

• TechnoKidd
    TechnoKidd
    Community Member

Well, no luck. Couldn’t log in on the website either.

I don’t know what happened.

I wasn’t able to move my passwords from the Primary vault cause I can’t get to it. Maybe I should just delete that vault and make new passwords again. Or delete my account and start fresh?
    Too frustrated with this.... not sure what I should do

Michael

• Well, no luck. Couldn’t log in on the website either.

Is that due to an incorrect Master Password error? It may be (and likely is) the case that you selected a different Master Password for your 1Password.com account than what you typically use to unlock 1Password. A hint that may be helpful is that 1Password.com requires at least a 10-character password.

I wasn’t able to move my passwords from the Primary vault cause I can’t get to it. Maybe I should just delete that vault and make new passwords again. Or delete my account and start fresh?
    Too frustrated with this.... not sure what I should do

Ultimately if you're unable to recall the correct Master Password that would indeed be the only recourse. You can follow the prompts here to delete the account:

https://my.1password.com/support

You can uninstall and reinstall the app to delete the Primary vault. From there you'd be able to start fresh. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• TechnoKidd
    TechnoKidd
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, I really appreciate the help. I think that’s going to be the best thing to do.

Here we go again 🥺

• @TechnoKidd

You're very welcome. I'm sorry there wasn't more I could do here. For the future I'd highly recommend printing a copy of your Emergency Kit, filling in the Master Password you choose when creating your account, and then storing that somewhere safe such as a bank deposit box or fire safe:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Ben

This discussion has been closed.