Offline access for business

Howto disable offline access?
So I can disable viewing a vault even if someone has the master password?
(Not the travel mode)

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: All
Sync Type: cloud
Referrer: forum-search:disable offline access

Comments

• john_m
    john_m
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rthielens, welcome to our forum! 👋

Our 1Password apps feature an offline mode, so that folks can still work with the data shared with them even if their device doesn't have an active internet connection (e.g, a mobile device); being able to access your data when you need it is a core part of the 1Password experience, and so currently there isn't a way to disable the offline features of our 1Password apps.

If you have a 1Password Business account, one possible workaround which may suite would be to set the app access for the vaults you're concerned about so that only "1Password for Web" is left enabled. This will make it so that vault and its contents can only be accessed via our web interface, or via the 1Password X browser extension.

I hope that helps - let me know if you have any other questions!

• rthielens
    rthielens
    Community Member

HI John,

Thanks for the reply!
    We want to prevent access to any vault in the case someone leaves (or has to leave)
    When that someone is online that is no problem but in the event someone has no internet connection the vault stay's accessible even if we disable the account.....

• @rthielens

I understand. Unfortunately the reality is that it isn't possible to revoke someone's access to a secret. If I tell you a secret there is no way for me to take that secret back from you. The only effective way to be sure someone doesn't have valuable secrets after they leave the organization is to change those secrets, such that the information they may have is no longer valuable. Preventing offline access wouldn't solve the root problem here.

If that isn't a step that you're willing to take then John's suggestion of only allowing access through the 1Password web app may be a workable middle ground, but understand that the problem of being unable to revoke secrets without changing them still exists. It is still very possible someone will have captured, recorded, memorized, etc secrets while working for you that unless changed will continue to be valid after they leave.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.