Disabling but keeping an entry.

MisterQ
MisterQ
Community Member

Background: I have an American Express Card, my wife is listed as a supplementary card holder - I have a login to their website and app, and she has her own as well. (let's call them PQ (me) and BQ (her). BEcause she is a supplementary, she can request pins, replacement cards etc for herself, and see charges that she has made, but not the whole account, and they don't give her login the ability to see or pay the whole bill.

The logical thing is for her to log into my account, which is fine. She handles the household accounts. But... we need to keep her login for when she needs to do her specific stuff, so keeping her login id, password etc and the web urls to login makes sense. But, not be active unless needed. I have tried putting an xxxxx in front of the http: URL's so that it doesn't activate, but it still seems to parse the www.americanexpress.com.au and present the id as a login option.

Is there a simpler way of having it there, but not active - the only thing that comes to mind is to put that entry into a single vault on it's own, which is not normally accessible. (and leave a note in my entry explaining it to her).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MisterQ!

Is there a simpler way of having it there, but not active - the only thing that comes to mind is to put that entry into a single vault on it's own, which is not normally accessible. (and leave a note in my entry explaining it to her).

This is what I would have recommended (it's the method I use myself).

Another option would be to mark this specific Login item as Never suggest in browser (you can change this in the display field when you edit this Login item in the 1Password for Mac app). This way, the Login item will remain where it is, but it will never be suggested by the browser extension.

• MisterQ
    MisterQ
    Community Member

Well again, singularly non-intuitive - I tried Never suggest in browser - didn't make any difference (I am going in through an "App" if it perceives that to be different from a "browser". Never suggest should never suggest irrespective of the mechanism.

I tried creating a new Vault to archive in, in my wife's account - it went through all of the motions. I then go to move the entry to the new vault in order to keep it, but make it unaccessible to general usage, and the new vault doesn't show up. (in her account) - I am presuming, that she doesn't have "authority" to create vaults - I will try creating a vault for this under my (one of the admin's) account.

I note that referenced items - this being an Amex account, had cards linked to it, are lost in a "move to a different vault" I can sort of understand why, but think there might be a better way. In part because the process of linking a card to an account is a PITA in the first place only being feasible through the OSX App, and not via the browser extension, or the website.

• MisterQ
    MisterQ
    Community Member

Well, I have managed to get my wifes amex entry into a new vault (Wife Archive) (the box with up arrow under the title - not intuitive - and strangely, it shows as having the related items even though it said it would lose them. (Well, they are there, but clicking on them returns an error on the online website access - and the related items as "deleted" on the ios app - inconsistent. ) - I can understand why, but the error message could be more friendly. But how do I turn off access to a vault. Speaking of which, in the IOS (Ipad) app, It has the option of "All vault" or Our family, with subcategories of Private and Shared - no indication of the vault that I created via the website. and yet, the aforementioned "Amex entry" is still showing up in "All items" even though it's off in it's own vault (Albeit that is a shared vault. - does it have to be private to disable it being used?

• @MisterQ

The remaining step would be to remove the newly created vault from "All Vaults" on each of her apps / extensions:

Use All Vaults to see all your items at once

1Password defaults to showing the 'All Vaults' view (which by default includes... all vaults). If you remove the vault in question from her All Vaults view, then she won't see it unless she opens the vault switcher and switches to it explicitly.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.