Access Bus Pwds from Browser Logged into Family Acct?

mitchr
mitchr
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I have a business account with a free family account. From 1 password desktop, logged into my Family Acct, I can see all the passwords in both accounts. In the browser, logged in from my family account, I'm not able to access the passwords in the business account. So I invited my family account as a guest to my business account. When accepting the invite, I used my master pwd as recommended by 1Password when logging in. I see that I now have a new account at https://myBusiness.1password.com/profile

In the business account I shared access to the Admin folder with my personal account. However, those passwords still don't appear when I attempt to use them from my personal account. Is there a way to make those shared pwds available to the browser extension when logged in from personal account?

In other words:
myBusinessAcct/Admin-Vault is shared with myBusiness-myFamilyAcct
In a browser extension, I'm logged in with myBusiness-myFamilyAcct and I want to see the passwords in myBusinessAcct/Admin-Vault. Is that possible?

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.1
OS Version: Win 10.
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mitchr

It is not currently possible to see contents from multiple accounts simultaneously in the web app. The browser extension is a different story: you can add multiple accounts to 1Password X. To do so, right click on the extension icon in your browser and then select Settings. Scroll down to the Accounts & Vaults section of the settings and click the link titled "Sign in to another account." Perhaps in the future we'll be able to support being signed into multiple accounts in the web app much like the 1Password X extension as well as our 1Password for Windows, 1Password for Mac, etc apps do.

I did want to clear up what appears may be a point of confusion:

So I invited my family account as a guest to my business account.

Accounts cannot span memberships: each account belongs to a single membership and can only view data from within that membership. What it sounds like happened here is you created a guest account under your business membership using your personal email address. This would be entirely separate and would have no tie to your 1Password Families membership/account. This is likely extraneous in this case, and you may want to consider deleting that guest account.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member

Ben:
    Thanks for the prompt feedback!
    Adding another account to the extension is exactly what I was looking for!
    Based on observation, I figured that there is no tie between the guest account and the family account. Considering that the email is unique and I used the same pwd, that is an interesting choice on your end.
    Anyway, I deleted the guest account and 1P is working the way I want it to.
    Thanks again.

• Thanks for the update @mitchr! Glad to hear it is now working as desired. :+1: If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member

I shut down my computer everyday. When I log back in and unlock my personal account, the business account is locked. Is it possible to set this so that I don't have to unlock both accounts everyday? Thanks.

• @mitchr

Is this in reference to 1Password X? If so, setting the same Master Password for both accounts will cause them to both unlock.

Ben

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

This stopped happening, so I didn't reply. However, as of today, it is recurring in 1PwdX.

For example, when logging into a website which uses a pwd from the business account, 1PwdX doesn't identify the pwd and when I search for the account by name doesn't show up. However in the Win App, the pwd is visible, and in fact there are 3 instances of it. Further, when I launch the site from the desktop app, the password is still not found and I need to enter the login and pwd manually or copy/paste.

I have tested this in 2 browsers, logged out and restarted the browser, but no go.

• Hey @mitchr. As Ben mentioned, for all your accounts to be unlocked in 1Password X simultaneously, you'll need to use the same Master Password for both your personal and your business account. The desktop app currently doesn't integrate with 1Password X, so what you see in that app does not affect what you see in your browser.

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member

Got it. I thought I was using the same pwd for both, but it turns out I'm not.
    Thx.

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member

OTOH, here is an instance of what I've noticed:
    In the pic are 3 logins to the same URL.
    Top one is in personal, the others in business. You can see this by the icons in the pics.
    In 1PwdX, one of the business accounts shows up as a choice, the other does not. The pwds for the 2 accounts are not the same.
    I can't keep track of everytime I use 1P, but this seems to be intermittent.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mitchr ,

If you unlock 1Password X with a certain Master Password, the account to which this Master Password belongs to will unlock, while other accounts will remain locked (and will not show up in suggestions when you try to autofill.

As Ben mentioned earlier, if you want all accounts to unlock simultaneously, you'll have to use the same Master Password in all three accounts. That way, when you unlock 1Password X, all three accounts will unlock and will show up in suggestions when you autofill.

If you do not wish to use the same Master Password on all three accounts, your options are:

• Lock 1Password X, then unlock it with the relevant Master Password of the account that holds the login item you currently need (this can be done with keyboard shortcuts to make things quicker).

OR

• Right click the 1Password X extension icon on the top right corner of your browser, select "Settings", scroll down to the bottom and unlock all accounts there.

I hope that clarifies the situation further. Let me know if I misunderstood your intention.

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member

@ag_yaron Thanks for that. I see now that I can login to more than one account. Will that persist as a permanent setting each time I login?

Also, looking at the pic above, I have to ask what set of circumstances would lead to a partial result - i.e, only 1 of the business logins is available in 1pwdX. It doesn't seem that there is a condition under which that should happen.

• mitchr
    mitchr
    Community Member

My bad. I see what caused the issue in the pic...
    Thanks for your help.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad I could help, @mitchr .
    Feel free to reply again if you have any further questions :)

This discussion has been closed.