Bug in password strength indicator in 1Password Mini

Options
dserodio
dserodio
Community Member

Hi! I was logging in to a site, used Cmd+\ to autofill the credentials, and 1Password warned me that the password was too weak. I held Option, and verified that it was weak indeed. So I clicked on Edit, then on the gear icon by the password field, copied the generated password (20 in length, 1 digit and 1 symbol) and pasted it into the "new password / repeat new password" fields on the site and submitted the password change. 1Password extension asked me if I wanted to update the saved login details for this site, I selected the correct entry (I have 3 logins for this site).
Since I had the popup open for this site (and in Edit mode, which I used to generate a new password), I canceled the edit.

Then I used Ctrl+\ to open 1Password Mini to double-check the password change was sucessfully saved. The password was correctly saved, but 1Password mini is still warning me that about Weak Password, but it's not weak anymore.

I'm never sure of the best workflow for password changes like this, maybe my workflow is unusual, but it seems like I found a bug in 1Password Mini.

I'm running 1Password 7
Version 7.6 (70600006)
Mac App Store

Best,
Daniel Serodio

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @dserodio

Since I had the popup open for this site (and in Edit mode, which I used to generate a new password), I canceled the edit.

I think the results may have been different if you had saved your edit, and cancelled the popup. Since you already had the new password entered into 1Password, it seems following the prompt from the popup was redundant, and may have caused the password strength rating to be out of alignment.

That isn't to say that the password strength indicator is without fault here. We are aware of at least one issue where copying & pasting a generated password will cause the entropy value for that password to be lost and as such it will very likely be rated worse than it would otherwise. Hopefully we'll be able to improve the reliability of these ratings in the future.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.