"Save and fill" fills new password in the current password field

benmattison
benmattison
Community Member
edited October 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello,

I am introducing 1Password to my team and am planning to give them a demo of various common scenarios. I have been practicing generating and saving a new password for an existing login and I am running into the same issue on multiple sites. I'm running 1Password 7 and the 1password extension in Chrome.

I'm on a change password page with three fields: Current password, New password, and Confirm new password. I use the keyboard shortcut or click on the toolbar to fill in my current password. Then I click on the browser extension and click "Generate Password." A password is generated using my most recent preferences. I click "Save and Fill" and... it overwrites the current password instead of filling in the new password field and everything gets confused.

What I am doing wrong? I'm pretty sure this worked for me fairly recently. It has happened in every site I've tried today.

Thanks,

Ben

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

I just found another thread explaining that this a known bug, so never mind.

https://1password.community/discussion/115071/issue-the-save-and-fill-function-populates-the-old-password-form-instead-of-the-new-password-form

I'll hold off on taking my team through this function for now. If you have an approximate ETA for a fix that would be very useful.

• Hi @benmattison

It looks like development has written code they are hoping will address the issue, but those changes have not yet made it into a beta build of 1Password for Mac. So, there is progress on it, but unfortunately I wouldn't be in a position to estimate when we'll see the ultimate resolution in a stable build.

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4880

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben

• You're very welcome. I wish I had more info to share at the moment. You can keep an eye on the beta release notes, here: https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7 by checking the "show betas" checkbox. The issue in question is being tracked as 4880. And if you'd like to try the beta version once the fix is included you can find instructions on that here:

Use 1Password beta releases

Ben

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

@Ben I was excited to see that this issue was listed as being addressed in the latest beta, 7.7 BETA 11. Unfortunately it is still not working right for me.

I am no longer getting the problem where the new password is filled into the old password field on a change password page. However, once I click save on the page and go through the "Update Existing Login" dialog, the saved password is wrong—maybe it is recapturing the old password?

I should say that I had this experience using the extensions in Firefox and Chrome. In Safari, where there is a new UI (very nice), it didn't seem to happen. Although I am seeing an extra "Update Existing Login" dialog the next time I log in in Safari.

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited October 2020

Hello @benmattison,

I am sorry to hear about the issue in which 1Password does not update new passwords correctly. It is certainly strange. If possible, could you please recreate the process and send us a screen recording to us here? Please ensure that you don't reveal any personal information and change your password again after sending us a recording.

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Hi @nhat_1P,

Here is a screen recording from Chrome of me changing my password in Getty Images, updating the existing login, then failing to log in. You'll see at the end that I am able to get access and fix the password in the login by manually copying from the newly created password.

The file is too large to upload so I put in WeTransfer: Link Removed

And yes, I changed my password after recording.

Ben

p.s. Just to confirm, this is
    1Password 7
    Version 7.7.BETA-11 (70700011)
    1Password Beta

The Chrome extension doesn't seem to have a version number but it is "1Password extension (desktop app required)."

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@benmattison:

However, once I click save on the page and go through the "Update Existing Login" dialog, the saved password is wrong—maybe it is recapturing the old password?

If you reveal the saved password in your Login item, what do you see there? Is it the old password?

Thank you for the video by the way! One more question for you: is this happening just on this website, or do you see this with every website?

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    edited November 2020

Hi @ag_ana ,

That's the even weirder thing! This time I revealed the saved password in the Login item and it is not the old password and doesn't seem to match anything in the password history. So I don't know where it's coming from. EDIT Just tried again using Memorable Passwords to make it easier to keep track and yes, it is the old password that it is capturing. I must have gotten confused.

And yes, this has happened to me on multiple web sites using the beta in Chrome (and once in a test on Firefox). Are you able to reproduce with the beta and the Chrome extension?

Ben

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2020

Hey @benmattison ,

I was able to reproduce this just now on gettyimages.com, I will file it as a bug internally. On which other websites that are publicly accessible did you encounter this issue on? Or does it occur on every single website you try it on?

If you like the new interface in Safari, I strongly recommend you install 1Password X in your other browsers, which has the exact same interface and no issues with changing passwords: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

ref: dev/core/core#3478

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_yaron. The other web sites that I have definitely encountered the bug on are getpocket.com and rev.com. I don't think I've tried on any others since installing the beta.

I've tried 1Password X, but I really missed the command-\ keyboard shortcut, which is programmed into my fingers at this point. Whereas in the new Safari version you get the best of both worlds.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

That's true, @benmattison .

I too had a hard time overcoming the fact I don't have the CMD+\ shortcut anymore, but after giving it a proper shot, 1Password X taught me I don't need any keyboard shortcuts at all since it is always there, hah. :)

I'll test the other websites as well and add them to the report if needed. Thanks for providing them.

This discussion has been closed.