How to control password generation in Microsoft Edge

Options
npudar
npudar
Community Member
edited October 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

When I use 1Password in Chrome, I like being able to right click on a password field, select Generate Password, and then specify the options (length, characters, symbols, etc.)
For a variety of reasons I am switching over to Microsoft Edge.
I have the 1Password Extension properly installed and it works well.
However, in Edge, I can't figure out any way to generate a new password whose options I can control.
Looking for any guidance.
Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.1
OS Version: Windows 10.0.19041
Sync Type: OneDrive

Comments

• Hey @npudar 👋

Could you specify which extension you're using currently? Is it the 1Password Desktop Companion App Extension, or 1Password X?

• npudar
    npudar
    Community Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

@Blake I'm using the 1Password X extension
    (I also have the 1Password Windows application on my computer, but the only extension in Edge is the X.)

• Blake
    edited October 2020
    Options

Thanks for letting me know!

If you're referring to the suggested passwords that 1Password X shows you when you sign up for websites, then these have a predetermined recipe that cannot be changed by users. If you want to generate your own passwords with your own requirements, you can do so as follows:

1. Click the 1Password X extension icon on the top right corner of your browser to open it.
    2. Click the big "+" icon to reveal the menu.
    3. Select the "Password Generator" (the first option in the menu).

You'll now reach the full-fledged password generator where you have full control over the passwords you generate. It will also keep your settings for the next time you visit it, and you can see the generator history there in case you ever lose a password you generated.

I hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.