You cannot add two or more accounts from the same Family or Team account

ajh0912
ajh0912
Community Member

I've been using a 1Password Family account for ages, I just found out that you can't add two accounts from the same Family to the same app, why is that? I understand that you wouldn't really want multiple people adding their accounts to the same application, but I don't think it should be locked out entirely, there are some poweruser scenarios where using two accounts yourself (from the 5 accounts available in a Family) on the one application makes sense.

"A member from has already been added to 1Password.
You cannot add two or more accounts from the same Family or Team account."

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ajh0912!

Indeed, it is currently not possible to add multiple user accounts from the same Families account to the same 1Password app.

there are some poweruser scenarios where using two accounts yourself (from the 5 accounts available in a Family) on the one application makes sense.

I would be interested to hear some examples, if you fancy sharing them. I can then certainly send them to the developers for consideration :+1:

• tyranny2k
    tyranny2k
    Community Member

I have one...maybe. I thought that indeed I would be able to do just that, so I set up an account on my sons computer (PC) for his passwords. My plan being that I would have access to his passwords and I could access mine from his (to make purchases or use various services). I was trying to figure out why I dont see his account info on my computer in the 1P App. I guess this is why?

So, if this is the case, how do I go about doing what I thought I was doing? I dont really want him to have access to my passwords at will, but I do want to be able to set up services on his computer as needed. I also want to be able to be a back up for him if he were to loose passwords etc.

Thoughts? TY!

• @tyranny2k

The recommended way to separate between users on the same computer is with separate Windows (or macOS) user accounts. Microsoft has a guide on how to set this up available here:

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

An alternative if this is more of a one-off or infrequent use type thing might be to just use the https://start.1password.com/ web app when you need to access your 1Password data on his computer. :)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• tyranny2k
    tyranny2k
    Community Member

Thank you Ben. I have set him up on his PC. I manage 1Password from my Mac. All good.

The issue is, I don't see how I can access his saved passwords in my application. So the idea of me being his backup, and also as a parent, having access to his services passwords etc doesn't really work right now.

• ajh0912
    ajh0912
    Community Member

@tyranny2k

One method would be instead of having him as a family member, create a new vault with his name and invite his email as a new guest, then assign that new vault to his new guest account and also your normal account. Now you can see all the passwords in that vault, and because guest accounts don't get their own 'Private' vault, they only place his logins will end up is in that vault.

Not sure how this falls in relation to the EULA.

• I see; sorry about that. I think I at least partially missed what you are trying to accomplish. 1Password doesn't really have a mechanism built-in for parental management of a child's personal passwords. That said, there are a few ways you might go about this.

1. You could establish a shared vault which would be accessible from both your account and your son's account, remove his Personal vault from his All Vaults view, and set his 'vault for saving' to the shared vault. Guides that may be helpful in setting that up are: Create and share vaults and Use All Vaults to see all your items at once. Note that with a little technical know-how he would still be able to save items in the Personal vault, which you wouldn't have access to, but would cover most cases.
    2. You could instruct him to generate an Emergency Kit from his account for you, and have him fill in the Master Password. Then you can access his account using the 1Password web app at https://start.1password.com/ Additional details on that can be found in this guide: Get to know your Emergency Kit

Ben

• tyranny2k
    tyranny2k
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, Ill have to look into the shared vault for him. The emergency kit may be the best way to go. Might be a good thing for our coding friends to think about for future update. A parental management account that can be set up that is linked to the parents account. Then when the child is old enough, they can transition to a full account.

• Thanks for the suggestion, @tyranny2k :)

Ben

• nfmohit
    nfmohit
    Community Member

Hey @Ben and @ag_ana!

I have a use case in this regard. While the 1Password family subscription requires you to add 5 members at least, I may not have 5 people to add. So, I can choose to use a spare account for work purposes, while keeping the original one for personal usage.
    Most users have separate personal and work computers/user accounts as I do, and I'd log into 1Password on those computers with personal and work accounts respectively, which works great and serves my purpose.

However, in the case of a mobile phone, I only have one and feel the necessity to switch to both accounts when required.
    Does this use case seem reasonable to you? I really need this feature and I'd be enormously grateful if you can make it work, or at least create an exception for some of us.

Thank you!

Regards,
    Nahid

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nfmohit:

I have a use case in this regard. While the 1Password family subscription requires you to add 5 members at least, I may not have 5 people to add.

It is not mandatory to add 5 users, you can use a Families account just with two people if you wish :)

This discussion has been closed.