Keyboard navigation in 1Password Mini?

Options

In 1Password 6, if I wanted to fill personal details or credit card info into forms, or create new passwords, I could do all of that from the keyboard, using the arrow keys and the Return key.

However, I see no way to do these things in 1Password 7 without using the mouse to click on various things in the 1Password Mini dialog.

This seems a significant step backwards in usability. Am I missing some hidden feature here?

1Password Version: 7.7.BETA-10
Extension Version: 7.7.BETA-10
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Jim A Syler ,

1Password mini allows you to autofill your credentials or generate new passwords and logins on websites you visit, and it allows you to search for items in your 1Password app and view/edit them.

The main keyboard shortcut that should interest you is CMD+\ (Command + Backslash), which calls 1Password mini and tells it to autofill whatever is on the page (if you have an existing login for that page).

Here are all the other shortcuts available in mini:

• CMD+N - Create new password in the generator.
    • CMD+S - Save the current website you're visiting as a new login.
    • CMD+E - Edit the current item you are highlighting.
    • CMD+O - Pin the current item you are highlighting to the screen.
    • CMD+, (Command + Coma) - Open 1Password 7's preferences.
  • ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Jim A Syler ,

If you want to autofill a specific item (e.g. a credit card), simply call 1Password mini (CMD+\ or CMD+OPTION+), then start typing the item's name or description and you'll find it immediately, allowing you to autofill it by hitting the Enter key on your keyboard.

For example, if I have a credit card called "Main Mastercard" in my vault, my workflow would look like this:
    1. Reach a payment page on a website.
    2. Press CMD+OPTION+\ to call 1Password mini.
    3. Start typing "Main Mastercard", but 1Password mini will already find it within the first 3-4 characters as I type, then hit Enter to autofill it.

No need to switch between Suggestions to Logins to Credit cards and Identities. Mini's search is definitely your friend and will save you a lot of time and clicks (or keyboard shortcuts)! :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

These are valid points @Jim A Syler .
    I'll forward your feedback to the team. The problem is when you call mini the focus is automatically set on the items themselves so you can navigate in your list of items, so bringing it up to the filters would require a bunch of TAB presses, but perhaps it is worth considering. Hopefully the team will have a better idea on the matter.

In the meantime, you might want to consider using tags, which will greatly help you find whatever you need without having to remember anything else except for the tags. You can add tags to any item you want. For instance adding an "identity" tag to your "Jim" identity will allow you to search for the word "identity" and find it easily.

Adding a tag such as "cc" to your credit cards will allow you to quickly search for the word "cc" and it will show all of your credit cards immediately.

I hope you'll find these suggestions helpful in the meantime.
    Thanks for all the feedback! We appreciate it.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's an interesting suggestion @Jim A Syler .

I know we have quite a few accessibility users that utilize some voice-over apps which helps them navigate to overcome disabilities with their sight, so when they click on Tab it goes from the login items list to the content of a specific login, allowing them to select the "Go" or "Open and fill" buttons, the "Edit" button etc, so changing where TAB goes might interfere with their workflow and their habits, but this is definitely worth investigating.

Thanks for the additional feedback.

This discussion has been closed.