I'm having problems using 1Password to generate & change passwords

Options
scottsmith44
scottsmith44
Community Member

In an effort to strengthen some of my passwords, I am taking the following steps:
1 - using Safari 1Password extension, I select a login and specify 'go'
2 - once signed in, I navigate to the change password screen
3 - using the Safari 1Password extension, I copy the current password & paste it into the Current Password field of the web site
4 - I position the cursor to the first new password field on the web site
5 - I then use the Safari 1Password extension again to select '+ Generate Password'
6 - once a new password is generated, I select 'Save & Fill'
7 - for every site I've tried this on (including the 1Password Support Community), the following takes place:
---- a) the current password field of the target web site is overwritten with the new password & the two new password fields remain blank
---- b) a new item is added to 1Password in the Password Category with the Name of the entry being the 1st portion of the URL of there web site (e.g., 1password.community); a Password field containing the new password; & the website being the full target site URL

I suspect I am missing something that is very simple, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

• Scott Smith

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @scottsmith44

It sounds like step 5 is where things start to go off the rails. Instead of using the "+ Generate Password" option I'd suggest editing your existing Login item for the site, and clicking on the gear icon in the password field to generate a new password. Then save the item, copy the new password, and paste it into both change password fields.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• scottsmith44
    scottsmith44
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your feedback, Ben - 1Password Support has confirmed that they are having some challenges with the technique I was attempting to use to change passwords - I've just now tried your suggested approach and feel that this approach might work best for me right now - thanks for the suggestion!

• Scott
  • Ben
    Options

You're welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.