What is your general opinion on master password security?

ulbn
ulbn
Community Member
edited September 2020 in Mac

I have a MacBookPro laptop, an iPad Mini 5 and an iPhone 8, and have 1Password7 installed on all those units, (and also on my PC W10stationary computer)...
On the IPad and the iPhone i use the Touch-ID also for the 1Password master password...(so I don’t have to type the 1Pw7 18 digit master password for every login session...)

Do you consider that an insecure behaviour (Touch-ID login)?
Your opinion would be appreciated!
Best regards
/B

1Password Version: the latest
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 14
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:master password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ulbn!

Using Touch ID is also a secure method to unlock 1Password :) You can read more about Touch ID security here, in case you want to read some details:

About Touch ID security in 1Password for iOS

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana!
    Thanks a lot...yr reply was a relief to read!
    Have a nice day!
    /BN

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @ulbn! I am glad I could help :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day too :)

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

I´m sitting here at my stationary PC, which has the w10 operating system and I do have 1Password7 installed and working on this computer also...(as on my other units iPhone 8, iPad 5 and MBP 15"...)

How come I then have to type in myself my user name, and look up my current password on my iPhone 8, and manually type it in into the required field here on my PC, to be able to sign in??? What am I doing wrong (or unpractical)??
    Best regards
    /BN

• Hi @ulbn

My apologies but I'm not sure I understand the question. Could you please elaborate? Why is the iPhone involved at all here? Please let me know.

Ben

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Hi Ben - I will describe this more i detail...it will take me a few days since I need to enclose some screenshots and carefulle explainwhat I mean in detail...it is a problem (or maybe a 1Pw7 disadvantage which I have experience for some time now i.e. months) - so...
    I´ll be back asap (since I´m rather busy right now for the time being)
    /BN

• Understood. Thanks!

Ben

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Hi Ben!
    To further explain my problem -please read this:

I work mostly on my MacBookPro, with macOS Catalina 10.15.7 update installed and working fine…

My common work-method is

1. I start with logging in on 1Pw7 with my master password
    2. Click on the small cogwheel in the pop up menu to open the whole 1Pw7 software - I prefer this since I want to see all the various websites i have to choose from…there might be website designations that appear similar - this is to select the wanted one - which I then select!
    3. I have e.g. 4 different websites registered, that have similar 1PW7 designations - but this procedure helps me to select the desired website…then I go to the right side of this page, I click on ”website” there, and the ”open and fill in” button is shown
    4. _Done that, and then I am prompted to myself type in User Name and Password in two separate fields…_very awkward!!! Strangely enough, the program 1Pw7 DOES NOT fill in the required info although I clicked on it, I have to go up to and perform copy and paste of these two variables at the top of the Password registered website… very tedious…! !
    5. That is why I then very easily with touch ID usage opened my iPhone with to find the 1Pw7 two variables (user name and 12 character password, to the type them in on my laptop.
    6. Not all, but quite a few of my some 80 pcs. of all in my Pw7 registered websites react in this way!! That ”OPEN AND FILL IN” does NOT work automatically…I must type it in manually. 

7. The software 1Password7 (abbreviated as 1Pw7 above) is very good and is a safe/secure reliable password manager I think, and it is almost always very helpful and practical…particularly when used with my iPhone 8 and My iPad mini 5 which both are equipped with the Touch-ID feature. - However, there it is very easy to log in/sign in to any desired website using my fingerprint all the way - even for the master password. This laptop, a MacBookPro 15” 2015 edition, does not have the Touch-ID feature, sorry to say. 

But it doesn’t feel right for me to be forced to ”Copy & Paste” manually for signing in to some websites!! _

9. Maybe I am using a very unpractical and non-intended log in-procedure for some websites, but how would I have known, done or learned?? I rely on the same excellent support from you as before!!

Hope you now have understood my dilemma - please ask me again if not, or if you need screeshots from me to clarify these matters!!

Best regards
    /BN

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Maybe there is a instruction manual or similar I should have read and used....Sorry!

• @ulbn

From your description it sounds like you may not have the 1Password extension installed in your browser? Could you please take a look at this page, and see if it says: "1Password is installed in your browser."

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

This is what it should look like:

Thanks!

Ben

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

OK Ben - I’ll try that and will let you know then!
    /B

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Hi again Ben -
    Before I have read through the instruction you recommended (a link above), I checked the setting on my laptop for the 1Pw7, and this popped up: Doesn´t it indicate that my settings are correct? If not, I really must read it asap and learn as you recommended before...!

Although the screenshot is with Swedish text, I trust you understand anyway - the ticked boxes are hopefully the same in english language version?

We have just received the first snow up here in "Norrland" the northern part of Sweden...
    Regards
    BN

• ulbn
    ulbn
    Community Member

Screen shot for the above

• @ulbn

Those settings would be present regardless of if any browsers have the extension installed or not.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.