Is it possible to stop auto-locking when browser closes?

I open and close my Firefox browser a few times a day.
And my Master Password is a doozy.

Having to retype that password all the time is tiring and seemingly unnecessary. Is there a way of disabling this function?

If I can turn off Auto-Lock and turn off Lock When Device Sleeps, it seems this should be allowed too.
My recollection is that browser extension for 1Pv6 didn't require this (could be wrong).

Any ideas?

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.2
OS Version: Win10 10.0
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:Can you stop auto-locking when browser closes?

Comments

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited October 2020

Since 1Password X lives and works exclusively on your browser, there is nothing to keep it unlocked after closing the browser. However, we have a plan to bring that feature to 1Password X with the app integration feature. I can't tell you the exact date, but you can go here for more information and updates

In the meantime, if you want to unlock 1Password using touchID, please use 1Password 7. You can go here for more information about 1Password 7

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

Thanks! That's promising news! If you're looking for a tester, look no further. ;-)

(unfortunately I'm on a PC so TouchID isn't a solution)

• @carbon14 Thank you for getting back. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

If you are using Windows, you can also use PIN to unlock 1Password instead of fingerprints. It should not take much longer than scanning your fingers.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

That's a great idea! Thanks again. And I'll stay on top of all the builds. Much appreciated.

• @Carbon14 You are very welcome. Please feel free to let me know if you need anything.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

Thanks again, nhat! ;-) I've always LOVED 1Password.

But at about 30 hours since upgrading from v6, I have to say I miss the Desktop/Browser synchronization of v6 ... so much so that I am thinking of cancelling v7 sub and going back to my standalone v6.

It's disruptive to my workflow, it's become a front-and-centre issue (no utility software should), with multiple use-case variants that also invoke the browser lock.

PLEASE tell me a 'fix' is imminent!!!!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Carbon14 ,

I'll clarify Nhat's original suggestion - you can use our old companion extension instead of the 1Password X extension you're currently using. The companion extension connects to the 1Password 7 desktop app and will remain unlocked for as long as the desktop app is unlocked, even if you close the browser completely: https://1password.com/browsers/

Granted, the old companion extension doesn't show up inside usernames and password fields so it takes an extra click or two to autofill, but unlocking it might be a lot simpler for you if you use Windows Hello: https://support.1password.com/windows-hello/

Hopefully the new 1Password X integration will be released in the near future and you'll be able to enjoy both worlds :)

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

I'll give that a try @ag-yaron. Thank you!

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

I must be doing something wrong. 1Password desktop is running and unlocked. I installed the old companion extension but it remains greyed out and non-functional in the browser. :-\

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020

@Carbon14

Try quitting the browser and then completely quitting 1Password. Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder. Then open your browser.

Also, please make sure that you only have a single version of 1Password within your browser, enabled at any time.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

Thanks Tommy. I did all that - plus a reboot. Still greyed and non-functional. The right-click sub-menu is also non-functional.

Rather than wasting everyone's time, I'm going to reinstall 1PasswordX extension and try not to close my browser so much. I'll be patient until the desktop/browser sync gets re-enabled.

• Hello @Carbon14,

I am sorry to hear that the standard version of the 1Password extension is not functional. If you still want to try it, could you please send us a diagnostics report from your Mac to our support site?

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#$$MASK$$]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

Hey @nhat_1P --- I feel like we're trying to solve a problem that will eventually not be a problem when you guys re-introduce the sync between desktop and extension.

I spent the day with the browser open (and minimized) and that worked ok.

Also I am on a PC ... Windows 10 10.0 ...

If you really want to spend time on this problem, I am willing to do more testing, but if I am the only one complaining, I can suck it up and wait :-D

(I very much appreciate how much everyone is trying to help, BTW)

• @Carbon14

You are always welcome, and you are right. Our issue would be fixed with the app integration feature. As I briefly mentioned, we do have a plan to bring it back, and this time, it will work on both Mac and Windows. If things go smoothly, we might see it within this year.

Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

Best regards,

• asefoiashefou
    asefoiashefou
    Community Member

Just a little note here - I recently bought 1Password for families and this is the one thing that is keeping me from getting my spouse set up on 1Password.

I love 1Password X, but I know that the burden of typing in her password when she opens the browser for the first time each day will get will frustrate her, because she's already logged into a computer with a password. So she'll wnat to stick with the built in chrome password manager for now.

Just an additional piece of feedback expressing my specific usecase, if that's helpful. :)

• Hey @asefoiashefou. I'm looking forward to integration with the desktop apps as much as the rest of the community — I'm with you! For the time being, perhaps your wife could use the older but trusty companion app extension, instead, since that ties in with the lock settings of the desktop apps today?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra:

Thank you for your feedback as well :+1: Perhaps what you are suggesting is something we can consider in the future.

• neosmith20
    neosmith20
    Community Member

yeah, this is keeping me from buying the family package... others aren't as intuitive as I am and won't/can't deal with having to put the password in every time the browser is closed and reopened. sometimes on accident. so this could be really annoying for them and in turn they wouldn't want to use this software.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@neosmith20:

Thank you for the feedback! Have you considered using the classic browser extension in the meantime?

Get the 1Password classic extension

With this one, you can close and reopen your browser as long as the main 1Password app is unlocked :+1:

• neosmith20
    neosmith20
    Community Member

@ag_ana cool, i will have to check it out. :smile:

• BallistiX09
    BallistiX09
    Community Member

I've only just switched from LastPass to 1Password, absolutely loving it so far, but that's one thing that's definitely been bugging me a little to be honest!

With Edge Chromium (and I'm guessing any other Chromium browser), there's an option to allow background apps to continue running in the background when Edge is closed. Is there no way that could be used by the extension to keep it unlocked, at least until the syncing between the extension and desktop app is finished?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @BallistiX09 ,
    I don't believe so, no.

In the meantime, 1Password Classic is the right way to go if you want to quit your browser completely and still keep 1Password unlocked.
    If you can keep your browser open, then all you have to do is adjust 1Password's auto-lock settings as you see fit, but closing the browser completely will kill the active session.

• jasongold
    jasongold
    Community Member

Sadly, this is a deal killer for me.

I tried the classic extension and the awesome experience of the normal extension is lost. I also can't install the app on my work laptop, so there's that too....

Bitwarden and Lastpass don't have this limitation and hope you all figure this out.

I'm moving my whole family from lastpass (reasons same as everyone else) and I just can't get on board with entering the master password each and every time the browser starts.

I have extensively tested 1password, lastpass, bitwarden, nordpass and 1pass is clearly the winner. However, staying logged in is a critical feature.

For what it is worth, despite 1pass not marketing the experience as the best, it clearly is (after testing each option out there). Usability is a science and an art and you win. I'm just not able to get over being required to manually logging in each time the browser starts.

• Hey @jasongold. I appreciate the feedback. Keeping 1Password unlocked across browser restarts would mean we have to store your Master Password somewhere on disk in order to unlock again after re-opening. Since your Master Password is what protects your local data, this is not supported for security reasons. I hope something changes in the future where we can do this in a secure way.

• jjo5555
    jjo5555
    Community Member

Wow! this is a really bad feature. I moved from lastpass becasue Troy Hunt told me to and now wish I hadn't.
    Seriously!!!! Every time I open my browser????
    Seriously?
    LastPass lets you authorise for 30 days.
    Seriously?
    No really? Seriously?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jjo5555 ,

You can use 1Password Classic in your browser, which will connect to the desktop app and will remain unlocked even if you close the browser.

This sort of integration will reach 1Password in the browser later on, so for now if it is really important to your workflow, feel free to use and enjoy 1Password Classic.

• jjo5555
    jjo5555
    Community Member

Morning
    Except I don’t think I can use 1password classic as I need to use something in user mode on my work devices. And I’m under the impression that classic has to be installed with admin rights, so I’m stuck.
    That’s correct isn’t it?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

The Classic extension doesn't require admin rights, but it does require the 1Password 7 desktop app to be installed, which will require admin rights, so yes you can only use the current 1Password in the browser.

Here are some tips that might help:

• Adjust the auto-lock timer of the extension. Right click its icon on the top right corner of your browser and select "Settings" to reach the auto-lock timer settings. Keep in mind that it will still lock up when you close the browser completely, so if you keep the browser minimized you can keep it unlocked for longer periods of time.
    • Change your Master Password to something that is easier to type, such as a worded password: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable - It is a very strong type of password that is easy to remember and type.

I hope you'll find this helpful :)

This discussion has been closed.