Using chrome or edge, my 1Password account prompts for the master password everytime I go to use it

ghstman
ghstman
Community Member
edited October 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello looking to get some help while using the Chrome extension mainly. Everytime I go back it is asking me for my Master password. I can't find where to turn that off, so on my private laptop I don't have to type in that password evertime I want to use 1Password in the Chrome Browser.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.22.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Chrome browser asks for password everytime

Comments

• @ghstman

With 1Password X you may want to configure its settings. They are different from the application. https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/#manage-your-settings

• ghstman
    ghstman
    Community Member

I have AutoLock turned off flipped to grey, however I am still getting locked. Seems like that setting does not override:

1Password X will automatically lock when:

you quit the browser
    you don’t use your computer for a certain amount of time
    your computer sleeps

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ghstman,

Since your question is about 1Password X, I moved your question to 1Password X category of our support forum. I hope you don't mind. :)

Do you also use 1Password X in the browser on your private laptop or do you have 1Password companion extension installed there? Please let me know. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Hi @ghstman

I apologize; it is not currently possible to keep 1Password X unlocked in those scenarios. We do plan to offer integration between 1Password X and the 1Password for Windows app. That may provide us with additional options in the future. As it stands there is no way to avoid having to unlock 1Password X with your Master Password when you quit and relaunch your web browser, for example.

Ben

• rustyf
    rustyf
    Community Member

I had the same question. My initial thought was to use the 1Password browser extension (that integrates with the desktop app) on the assumption it would know if you had already unlocked. However, I get the impression that the 1Password X version supersedes it? So it sounds like 1Password X will replace the older extension but it does not yet have full feature parity OR may never have full parity because you are ultimately limited by the security constraints of the browser? Is that a fair summary?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rustyf

1Password X is definitely our main focus for the future, and it will be able to integrate with the desktop app like the old companion extension does, which will allow it to remain unlocked even if the browser is closed (and will also allow things like Touch ID unlock etc).

We already had that feature in the beta version, but recently removed it so we can re-build a more robust version of it. We hope to have it up and running in the near future, so definitely stay tuned :)

In the meantime, you can still use the old companion extension. When you install 1Password X, it will automatically disable the old companion extension, but you can go into your browser's extensions page and turn it back on.

• rustyf
    rustyf
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response, @ag_yaron, makes total sense 👍.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad I could help :+1:

This discussion has been closed.