I've changed my master password; it works on my iMac but not my MacBook.

threeshoes
threeshoes
Community Member

So my old password will unlock 1Password on my MacBook, but when I go into Preferences on my MacBook's copy of 1P the new password is active. Very confusing . . .

Chris

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 7.6
OS Version: OSX 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I've changed my master password; it works on my iMac but not my MacBook

Comments

• @threeshoes

Often, when someone describes this situation, they have moved to membership, and one device is configured properly. The other device, however, may still have a Primary vault. A Primary vault is not part of a membership and cannot communicate with it. I would suspect that you may find a Primary vault on your MacBook. Are you using a 1Password.com membership for your syncing needs?

If you are indeed using a membership, please make sure any data you may have accidentally saved to the Primary vault has been moved to the Private/Personal vault. Then remove the Primary vault.

Once the Primary has been removed, you will be using the same Master Password on all devices.

• threeshoes
    threeshoes
    Community Member

Thanks. I don't know the answer to the question that you pose, but you've provided a couple of bits of information that I'll use. Checking the rest of it shortly. Cheers, Chris

• :+1: :)

Ben

• threeshoes
    threeshoes
    Community Member

Thanks, that has done the trick. I had been confused about the use of the Primary vs Personal vaults, but now the former is gone and all I have to do is to delete duplicates in the Personal.
    Cheers
    Chris

• Thanks for the update @threeshoes! Indeed, when using a membership (e.g. if you have a "Personal" vault) then "Primary" is legacy and should be removed. In most cases this is taken care of automatically by the migration process, but if you manually migrated your data or the migration didn't finish that last step then you can end up with Primary still kicking around. Glad to hear removing it has sorted things out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.