Option to show the characters as I enter my master password to unlock 1passwordX on chrome?

Options

I have a strong master password and sometimes when entering it I get part way through and think that I may have entered an incorrect character. I then have to either back out and re-do or I can carry on in the (sometimes vain) hope that I've got all the characters right.

This happens on my PC which is in my home office and facing away from any windows so I can't be overlooked whilst entering the master password.

Is there any setting that I can use to enable the 1passwordX password entry field to actually show the characters as I type them?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.2.2.1
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Option to show the characters as I enter my password to unlock 1passwordX/chrome

Comments

• Hello @ObjectConsulting

Thank you for reaching out and letting me know about the issue you encountered while using 1Password. For security reasons, 1Password doesn't have the option to show your Master Password for correction.

We understand that it could be inconvenient and already have a plan to let users use fingerprints or PIN to unlock it with the app integration feature. I can't tell you the exact date, but you can go here for more information about the app integration.

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @nhat_1P looks like you got the wrong @ here: @objectivedynamics is the OP

• objectivedynamics
    objectivedynamics
    Community Member
    Options

That really is a shame.

As it stands 1passwordX allows the user to paste into the password field. Any user that realises this might take advantage of it by typing their password into some place that they can verify it visually, copying it to the clipboard and pasting it into the password box.

Copying passwords to the clipboard is a terrible idea but I'll bet that some users will do it as a workaround to the problem of not being able to see their password as they enter it.

When the user who is entering the password has their back against an opaque wall, which represents the greater security risk? Showing them the password as they type or encouraging them to store the password in the clipboard?

• Hello @objectivedynamics

It is indeed a terrible idea to copy passwords somewhere and paste it to 1Password X. It is much better to train and gain memory muscle to remember password.

We already have a plan to make the process error free and easier for 1Password X users. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

Is it possible @objectivedynamics that you are using a PASSWORD as opposed to a PASSPHRASE? for your MASTER PASSWORD?
    Have you read this post from the AgileBits team? [https://blog.1password.com/toward-better-master-passwords/] I found it to be super helpful.

After a few weeks of 3-5 times of opening 1Password daily and typing my memorable master it is very embedded in mind and fingertips. And because you only have one very strong credential to remember you can focus on that and let 1Password remember the rest. Just a thought!

Also very excited for new features too! Like how about this amazing offering in the iOS application.

Good thing is the AgileBits team is consistently improving the applications across all the ecosystems and it gets better month after month.

• objectivedynamics
    objectivedynamics
    Community Member
    Options

No @ObjectConsulting I'm not using a PASSWORD, I'm using a PASSPHRASE. Furthermore if my difficulty was in remembering the PASSPHRASE then there would be precious little point in my requesting a way of seeing the PASSPHRASE as I enter it. It wouldn't help me to remember the PASSPHRASE

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2020
    Options

You raise some valid points here @objectivedynamics .
    We'll investigate what can be done without compromising users safety.

I personally have a very long random password and not a memorable password/passphrase, but I'm so accustomed to it that I actually type it faster than a normal sentence. Practice makes perfect I guess? :chuffed:

Thanks for bringing this up! We highly appreciate your feedback here.
    And thank you too @ObjectConsulting for chiming in, your suggestion was on-point.

ref: dev/core/core#2182

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    Options

;) 8-)

• Cheers, @ObjectConsulting! Have a great weekend. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.