Type Contents of 1Password Field (Feature Request)

Options
ossiejhmoore
ossiejhmoore
Community Member
edited October 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Feature Suggested: An option to "type" the contents of a 1Password entry field.
The Problem: There are several situations (I have a dozen or so such situations) where a user, especially technology workers such as myself, are forced to manually type a password entry. One example of this is as follows: I often use RDP/Citrix/GoToMeeting/etc. from my local machine to connect and work on remote machines either independently or in tandem with a client user. Often the policies of the remote organization disallow copy/paste of the clipboard contents. In these situations, I must manually type a long complex password into a field on the remote session.
My Solution: Because I am a developer, I wrote myself a utility that "types" the contents of the clipboard. Therefore, when connected to a remote session, I copy the field in 1Password then use the keyboard shortcut of my clipboard typer application to begin typing the contents of the clipboard after the mouse is idle for a configurable period of time. (This gives me the ability to focus on the specific input element on the remote host before my utility begins "typing" whatever is in the local machine's clipboard.) This way, the local machine is just issuing keystroke events.
Suggestion: I would suggest that the 1Password add the ability to not just include the option to auto-fill the contents of a field using the [commant]+[\] keyboard shortcut but also a mechanism to "type" the contents of a 1password field.

Sample Implementation: Below is a link to a (thirteen-second) video showing how my personal application called "Pastey" works. You are welcome to borrow (or not borrow) this example and feel free to reach out to me should you wish me to share more details. Here is the process, just in case the video is not allowed to be viewed: (1) I copy the field in 1Password. (2) I invoke my application's "Type Clipboard" action. My application now waits for the mouse to become idle for a configurable period of time. (3) I switch to the remote session and focus on the field I want to fill with the contents of the 1Password field and allow my mouse to become idle. (4) My application issues "send key" events for my local workstation, which translates to the contents of the clipboard (the contents of the 1Password field) being typed on the remote machine, filling the input field.

Video:
https://vimeo.com/471927950

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac OS
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:type

Comments

• ossiejhmoore
    ossiejhmoore
    Community Member
    Options

As a follow-up, a few lessons learned in refining my clipboard typer:

(1) If you were to go with a "begin typing when the mouse is idle" approach, in addition to making the idle time duration configurable, I also added logic to stop typing if the mouse is moved. This avoids a situation where the user (me) has screwed up and is now sending keystrokes to something other than the desired input field. Basically, I wiggle my mouse to stop auto-typing.
    (2) I made all durations configurable in my application (i.e. delay before each keystroke, delay after the key down event, delay after the key up event, etc.).
    (3) I bundle these configurations into a profile. For some remote sessions, my app types much more slowly than for others depending on the profile selected. My "Always Reliable" profile types at a maximum rate of 250ms per character with a 50ms delay between key press/release events. My "Fast Typer" profile, which works for most remote sessions uses a 10ms delay between key press/release and 10 ms delay between characters.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2020
    Options

Hi @ossiejhmoore!

Thank you very much for taking time out of your day to to share this feedback, and the solution you have created! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#388

This discussion has been closed.