Activate 1Password 6 with license number

Comments

• Hugh1pw
    Hugh1pw
    Community Member

My issue is similar. I'm retiring my Macbook Pro from 2010. I bought my 1PW license in May 2011, now using version 6.8.8 on my old Macbook Pro. I just bought a Macbook Air 2020, downloaded 1PW6, but it asks me for a license file. I don't have a license file. I have a license number from 2011. There is no place to enter the number, so I can't find a way to activate 1PW6 as a licensed version. How do I do that? Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Hugh1pw! Welcome to the forum!

We will be happy to help you with this. I noticed that you also sent us an email with the same question. So we don't duplicate the answers by replying to you in multiple places, I am going to close this forum discussion and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: HBV-74767-476

• MarkP
    MarkP
    Community Member

I have the same problem with 1Password for Mac 7.7, freshly downloaded today from your website, to upgrade from 1PW 6, in order to obtain a working 1Password Mini Safari plug-in. By the way, there is no plug-in for 1PW 6 that I can find anymore!

I have a valid license key, as well as an old license file that doesn't work now.

Why don't you publish how to enter a key into the app on your site or in the FAQs, or how to turn a license key into a license file?
    Or what the name of the license file should be to be accepted by the import?
    Simple descriptions and procedures would go a long way for a good customer experience, especially when it's something customers only have to do every 2-3 years. Thank you.

My old XML license file I had saved years ago in 1Password 6 is named License.onepassword-license.
    When I view it with TextEdit, it looks like what's required.
    But when I go to read it into 1PW 7, it is not recognized by the license import option, and I cannot read it in (import is grayed out). Perhaps you have changed the filename or extension?

What next?
    Thank you.

• A loyal licensed customer and advocate since 2014.
  • ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@MarkP

There is no longer an extension for 1Password 6. You can read more about the 1Password 6 Safari extension here. In 1Password 7 the Safari extension is now bundled as part of the application.

1Password 7 is a different app from 1Password 6. The previous license for 1Password 6 will not work with 1Password 7. We no longer advertise licenses and have not done so for some time now. I would encourage you to look into our membership offering. It is the best way forward with 1Password. You'll get perpetual updates as long as you remain a member, and no more licenses to keep track of. If you would like to find out more about what membership offers, please use the following link.

Explore Membership

• MarkP
    MarkP
    Community Member

Thank you for the information. Disappointed that I'm stuck on ver 6 with no security updates and no browser extension, if I don't want to pay monthly! I realize that SaaS is a common model now but not pleased.
    If I elect to move to the membership offering, can I run Mac, Win, & Linux in LAN-only mode with sneakernet for the USB vault file, and guarantee that no apps will upload anything to your cloud?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@MarkP

If you are looking at a subscription I would encourage you to look at the syncing available to you. You may wish to reach out to our support team via email using support@1password.com They can work with and see if we have any promotions available that you can take advantage of. Membership is the best way forward. All memberships make use of your account on 1Password.com to sync your data.

• MarkP
    MarkP
    Community Member

Thanks for the info!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_tommy, you are welcome @MarkP! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime. And if you decide to email us, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.