My private vault visible to my wife

MarkL1
MarkL1
Community Member

Using family account, I created my account on my chromebook first, then invited my wife and created account on her Macbook. Everything works, but she can see the contents of my private vault when she looks at her private vault. From my account my private vault says "Only you can view and edit items in this vault". My understanding after reading up on this is that my private vault should not be visible to any other family member. Did I do something wrong during the install on her machine?
MacOS 10.15.7 1password version 7.6 (70600005)
ChromeOS 86.0.4240.77 1passwordX version 1.22.1

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MarkL1!

Everything works, but she can see the contents of my private vault when she looks at her private vault.

It sounds like she logged into your account on her machine, instead of her account. If you open her 1Password app and check the account added to it, do you see yours or hers there?

• MarkL1
    MarkL1
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    I don't understand how to "check the account added to it". When I open the app on her Mac, there is a password prompt but no other information. If I open a login window on my chromebook, it shows the family name, my username, and the prefix of my secret key above the master password prompt. On her Mac, I don't even see a way to figure out which username is being used to do the login, and after she logs in I don't see a way to figure out what username she's logged in under. I know the emergency kit generated for her account shows her username. Is there some way to force the use of her username or secret key during the login process on her Mac?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MarkL1:

After you enter the Master Password to unlock the 1Password app, please go to 1Password Preferences > Accounts tab. You will see a list of the accounts that have been added to this app there. Which account do you see listed there?

• MarkL1
    MarkL1
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    I only see my account on that tab, I don't see my wife's.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@MarkL1:

Thank you for the confirmation! That is indeed the problem then :) Please remove your account from her app (to do this, you can click on the little "-" symbol at the bottom of the list of accounts in that tab), and add your wife's account now, using her credentials, which she setup when you sent her the invitation.

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

• MarkL1
    MarkL1
    Community Member

After I enter my wife's account info from her emergency kit I get this error message:

"1Password Account Cannot be Added
    You cannot add two accounts from the same Family or Team."

I attached a screen shot of what the account tab looks like now on her Mac.

• MarkL1
    MarkL1
    Community Member
    edited October 2020

After I enter my wife's account info from her emergency kit I get this error message:

"1Password Account Cannot be Added
    You cannot add two accounts from the same Family or Team."

Here's a screen shot of what the account tab looks like now on her Mac.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020

@MarkL1

With your account selected on the left click the "-" to remove it.
    The Click the "+" to add her account.

Once your account is removed you should be able to add her account.

Make sure you have copies of both of your Emergency Kits.

https://support.1password.com/emergency-kit/

• MarkL1
    MarkL1
    Community Member

OK thanks, I'll try this as soon as my wife relinquishes control of her computer. I think I'm not clear on the terminology. I thought "Green Acres" is the name of our family account, and "Mark" is my account, which has some special significance because I set things up in the beginning. The account "Peggy" is an account I created by inviting her to join the family account Green Acres. Am I thinking of this right?

I feel like I should wear a gopro on my shoulder so I can go back and watch a video of what I did wrong when I set this up...

• @MarkL1

I'll try this as soon as my wife relinquishes control of her computer.

Oh my, I had to LOL on that one. It brought back some fond memories of trying to get my wife to do the same thing.

The name Green Acres will show for both of you because you are using it for the account (Group) name. In your screenshot, you see Green Acres and then your information on the right. When it is set up for her, you should see Green Acres and her information on the right.

• MarkL1
    MarkL1
    Community Member

@ag_tommy and @ag_ana
    Thanks, that straightened things out.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020

@MarkL1

I am happy to hear we could help out. We're close-at-hand should you need further help.

This discussion has been closed.