On one device (of 4) 1 PW will only open with an old out of date password??? Why? help?

Options

I have four devices - imac, mac pro laptop, iphone, ipad.
A long long time ago I changed my password for 1 password. The mac pro laptop still doesn't recognize the new password and will only open if I use the old one.

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.15.7
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:On one device (of 4) 1 PW will only open with an old out of date password??? Why? help?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tedroberts!

Does this Mac Pro have a Primary vault that other 1Password apps don't have by chance?

The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

So it does sound like this Mac is configured differently from the other 1Password apps on your other devices.

• tedroberts
    tedroberts
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana
    Thx
    Yes indeed, seems so
    The mac pro has a "Primary" vault as well as "Personal"(which is listed in a section called "Ted Roberts"
    The iMac doesn't have a "Primary" category
    I unchecked Primary on the mac book pro
    In both computers the vault for saving is set at Personal
    What should I do, or does it really matter?
    T

• @tedroberts

The Primary would have been a vault in use before you switched over to a membership. Your account cannot communicate with your Primary vault. It's best to remove the Primary vault to prevent confusion and broken syncing. That would be where data is saved in one vault (Primary) and not accessible on other devices that no longer have the Primary vault.

1. Open the Primary vault and move and items that may have accidentally been saved there to the Personal vault. https://support.1password.com/move-copy-items/
    2. Then remove the Primary. https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices
This discussion has been closed.