Migrated from standalone v6 to subscription v7 and the process was abysmal.

dabbledydo
dabbledydo
Community Member

I have used the standalone app for years. Across 2 computers. an iphone, and an ipad. Never had any problems.

Felt constantly pressured to upgrade to 7 by having browsers ALWAYS try to get the wrong version to run the app. So I bit the bullet and decided it was worth it. I am concerned this was a mistake. I even felt like my data could have been compromised in the process. I am not thrilled wtih not having a traditional customer support scenario. I don't even know if I am talking to staff or other users here. That should be addressed - this is to some degree a security company.

Now onto the actual issues.

Downloaded the app and installed. In the process of setting it up it forced me to create a new master password (no I am not talking about the secret key). And thats fine. It said my original master password was too short. However, once installed it is still working based on my original password. This seems like a problem to me.

Then when I tried to connect other computers it said something about machine specific vaults (even tho all my computers were set to sync via local network). Now I don't know if I am missing data and for some reason the password doesn't work to connect the vaults on my second computer.

The iphone and ipad seem to be fine. I can't tell if anything changed on them. Which is weird because I would assume there should be some sort of difference there or at least acknowledgement that I am on a new system.

Next up, Tried to set up the app in both chrome and safari. I think I have them set up correctly but I cannot tell if I am to use the widgets (chrome) or the app in my mac toolbar. Part of the challenge here is that when I click on the browser extension it freezes. So I end up clicking the toolbar which takes approximately 15 seconds to open.

So my questions are:

1. How can I make sure I have all of my vaults and figure out how to not have duplicates all over the place. Right now I have a primary and personal that show up in the preferences. I can only assume they match but I am not sure. And I don't really want 2 vaults
  2. How can I make the app run a normal speed? It used to just work.
  3. What should I do to address the weirdness of the master login sitch?

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: no idea anymore.
Referrer: forum-search:1 password app on mac running really slow

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020

@dabbledydo

However, once installed it is still working based on my original password. This seems like a problem to me.

This is due to the Primary vault remaining on the machine.

The Mac app was designed a long time ago to use the Master Password of the 1st vault (typically Primary) to unlock. This would be the behavior if a user had five vaults, or two and each with different passwords. The Mac app always used the Primary vault password to provide access to your data. Removing the Primary vault will indeed solve this issue if all your data is inside the Personal vault. Once removed, the Mac app would then use the Account password to provide access to your data.

After the Primary vault is removed, 1Password will unlock with the new Master Password you created.

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Now I don't know if I am missing data and for some reason the password doesn't work to connect the vaults on my second computer.

You would need to add your membership to all of your devices. It would not be automatically added.

The iphone and ipad seem to be fine. I can't tell if anything changed on them.

Did you add your account to these devices? I was not entirely sure by your post. You would also need to remove any Primary vaults from these devices.

So I end up clicking the toolbar which takes approximately 15 seconds to open.

Do you still have 1Password 6 installed? This may be the reason as both 1Password 7 and 1Password 6 helpers could be running.

How can I make sure I have all of my vaults and figure out how to not have duplicates all over the place. Right now I have a primary and personal that show up in the preferences. I can only assume they match but I am not sure. And I don't really want 2 vaults

You will not have two once you remove the Primary.

How can I make the app run a normal speed? It used to just work.

Make sure only one copy of 1Password is running.

What should I do to address the weirdness of the master login sitch?

This will be resolved once you remove the Primary vault.

• To remove the Primary vault, you must remove all Secondary vaults if you have any.
  • dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. I'll give these things a try

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020

@dabbledydo

Please make sure all of your data is within your account vaults prior to removing any Primary or Secondary vaults.

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

One of the additional challenges I had was when I tried to connect the phone and ipad, It asked for a master password to migrate the vault but did not accept it (neither the original I had or the new one I created). So I was forced to cancel the prompt and now I don't know how to get back to it on those devices. Even if I did I wouldn't know how to access the prompt again, I don't know how to resolve the password issue. But that said, I had my 4 devices set to sync automatically. So I can only imagine I wouldn't be missing much if anything. I am most interested in migrating / and or cleaning up the existing vaults and turning it into only one vault. Is there an easy way to run a check for duplicates across multiple vaults?

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

Oooops. I mispoke on that last statment. That happened on my secondary computer. Not the ipad and iphone.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2020

@dabbbledydo

No, unfortunately, there is not an easy way to check for duplicates across vaults. You can, however, check for duplicates within the same vault.

If you are on a Mac, there is a duplicate remover tool under the Help > Tools menu, called "Clean Up Duplicate Items." Please make sure you select the vault where the duplicates are. If you are currently in All Vault's view, the duplicate removal will be greyed out or unavailable.

Had all of your devices had been using the same sync method prior to moving to a membership? If so, to prevent throwing duplicates (or more) into the mix, you may want to add your account to 1Password alongside the Primary vault and then manually move over any items that you need.

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

yes they had all been syncing via Lan. Which is why I am not sure it is worth adding all the vaults.

I did another fresh reboot of the machine and the app seems to be working better. When I did the upgrade it asked me to close the original V6 app and after the install I couldn't find it anywhere so I assumed it had deleted it as part of the process. I definitely did see the screen that shows the migration. But some of the other steps I cannot remember as clearly.

• @dabbledydo

Please let us know if you have additional questions. We're here to help.

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

Thank you! I haven't had a chance to dive into all the stuff yet. I wanted to get all the machines in a room together when I have a window to look at all of them at once and wrap the whole thing up. But I appreciate your input greatly.

• @dabbledydo

You're welcome.

I wanted to get all the machines in a room together when I have a window to look at all of them at once and wrap the whole thing up.

We sound like kindred spirits. I much prefer doing the same thing when I need to work out a problem.

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

I am still in need of some help. The process of updating to 7 forced me to create a new password. Which did not seem to take as it has been forcing me to use my original. Now I can't seem to get the new password to work or I have forgotten a piece of it. I don't understand how I can have 2 master passwords at the same time. I am simply trying to delete the primary vault so I only have one. But it is telling me the info isn't correct as I enter it

• @dabbledydo

1Password memberships have more strict requirements for Master Passwords than the old standalone vault system, and as such it is possible those passwords are different. In 1Password if you switch to your Personal vault, do you have a Login item for 1Password.com saved? If so that should have your Master Password saved on it. This is the one it'll be critical to memorize, as it'll be the one that unlocks 1Password once the Primary vault is removed. It may be helpful to print a copy of your Emergency Kit, and write the password on it. Then store the kit in a safe spot, like a fire safe or bank deposit box:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Ben

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

I do not. I thought it would be easy to remember because I would be using it immediately. But since the app kept only working with the old one, I can't seem to access it. Does the secret key give me a means to reset it?

• It does not. The only way to recover a Master Password on a 1Password membership is through assistance from another administrator on the membership (and as such is not possible with individual memberships). The tips in this guide may be helpful:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

If ultimately you cannot come up with the Master Password for your account you would need to delete the account, create a new one, and re-do the migration from Primary to Personal. You'll want to move any items you currently have exclusively in your account to Primary before doing so, as otherwise they will be deleted when you deleted the account. If necessary you can follow the prompts here to delete the account:

https://my.1password.com/support

Ben

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

What are the chances of getting a live chat support on this sitch. Its a bit hard for a layperson to understand all of this. And I cannot tell which version my ios is running. It would be of great comfort to not be left out the cold with a support guide that has not worked so far. I am happy to start over but I'd like to do it with actual guidance. I want at least one computer and one ios device present so I can see how it all works. I can only assume the conflict and the reason that my password is working is because it is still in some instances connected to the old stand alone vault. But how am I to know which is connected. At this point I have been trying to sort this for about a week and I am concerned about losing data.

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

Deleting the Primary account just sounds coutner intuitive from the start. It sounds like the most important therefore the one to keep. Its all very confusing.

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

Likewise. I don't even know which device to try and reset. I'd like to focus on my primary computer to get it working but it is allowing me in with the old password. Its all very confusing.

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

Are there 2 master log ins? one for personal and one for primary? If so why are they both called master logins. Its all very confusing.

• @dabbledydo

While we don't offer live chat, we can assist by email, and I think at this point it would be appropriate to move this conversation over to email. To facilitate that, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices. This will give us the background required, such as what version of iOS your devices are running. You can find instructions on sending the reports here:

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. You may need to change the default To: line to match this.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/116562/migrated-from-standalone-v6-to-subscription-v7-and-the-process-was-abysmal#latest
    • Your forum username: dabbledydo

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

Hey Ben. I think I just got it to work! Thanks. And I am getting alerts that are telling me when new devices are signing in.

I had already started an email support ticket yesterday but had not heard back. Gotta say as a customer service suggestion, there should be some form of live chat option. You guys are dealing with critical data. Not trying to shoot the messenger - all the people that have actually helped have been great. But the system needs work. As a consumer, Its a bit insulting to step up to a paid subscription model (even at a modest and fair price point), have this many issues and no live support to help. As an example, it very daunting getting a pop up alert that deleting an account will erase all data - this is where I want some hand holding. I wouldn't think it could erase my v6 data but how am I to know?

I love the product - At least I have historically. Hopefully I'll feel the same way in a month.

So for now, I don't think I need the diagnostic but I'll keep an eye on this thread and will reach out here if I have any issues sorting the various vaults.

Thanks and be well

• Thanks very much for the update and for the suggestions. It can be tricky to handle technical issues via live chat but that is something we're continuing to evaluate the pros and cons of. I'll be happy to add your voice to the support for it. Glad to hear you were able to get everything working.

Ben

• dabbledydo
    dabbledydo
    Community Member

Fair enough. I'd say trickier over email. Same thing without real time response! Thanks Ben

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.