How do I change suggested password during first login/registration?

When logging in to a site for the first time (i.e. when registering), 1PasswordX provides a suggested password. However, sometimes sites require different lengths or mandatory characters/numbers not in the suggestion.

How do I change that suggestion right there in the moment within 1PX?

(To date I've been popping out to the desktop app to use its pwd generator but I end up with a full Login entry AND a secondary Password entry and that's a tedious workaround)

Any suggestions welcome.

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 1.22.2
OS Version: Windows 10 10.0
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:How do I change suggested password during first login/registration?

Comments

• nickmcguire
    nickmcguire
    1Password Alumni

Heya @Carbon14,

When you run into sites that need the default suggested password tweaked I would suggest trying the Password Generator in 1Password X (found by opening the pop-up, clicking the New button, then choosing Password Generator). When you fill the suggested password from the generator we'll help save that new login so you only end up with one item.

I'd also love to know any sites that are causing woes with the default suggestion so we can look at improving that!

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

Thanks Nick ... I didn't even notice the Password Generator button on the pop-up when I pressed +. Duh!

I was pressing + in the pop-up and immediately scrolled down to "Password +" in the lower menu. Which would launch 1Password.com. And so on ...

I feel kind of dumb now. But thank you for helping.

As far as the sites: none come to mind ATM but it's generally older sites/services that either have issues with symbols or certain symbols.

Again, thank you.

• On behalf of Nick you're welcome. Have a great day!

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

What pop-up exactly are you talking about?
    When I click on a 'New Password' field on a web site in order to change my password, I get a pop-up, but that only contains a suggested password, that I cannot change.
    There is no 'New' button.
    Could you please provide screen shots to visualize, what you mean?
    Thanks!

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

No worries - I found it.
    It's the browser extension icon pop-up (not the one, when you click on a 'New Password' field on a web page field), and maybe it was a 'New button' in an older version, but now it's a big fat + (plus) sign.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @zwalex ,
    The popup within the password field is called the in-line menu, and the extension's window is called a popup (that's the official browsers extensions terminology, not something we made up :angry: ).

If you're using the old companion extension instead of 1Password X, there's a big "+Generate Password" button when you open the extension's popup, but it's rather the same because you still have to open the extension for it.

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

I just installed 1Password yesterday (started a trial, considering to switch from Lastpass ...), so everything I have installed should be the latest version.
    What I would like to have would be the possibility to change the options for the to be generated password in the 'in-line menu' rather than in the extension pop-up - which is how it works for Lastpass and is way more intuitive ...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2020

Thanks for clarifying @zwalex (And welcome to 1Password :) ).

We're definitely investigating ways to improve the suggested passwords option in the inline menu, I'll add your feedback to our internal logs.

In the meantime, the suggested passwords are created with our own predetermined recipe (or in some familiar websites, their own requirements are taken into consideration), and cannot be changed by the user. Using the fully fledged built-in password generator in the extension is where you'll want to go if you want to generate your own passwords.

Thanks for the feedback!

ref: dev/core/core#85

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

I had the same experience @zwalex ... I was confused with the reference to a pop-up too.
    I still think it should all happen inline without having to go up to the tool bar, though.

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited October 2020

Hello @Carbon14 ,

Thank you for your feedback. Please understand that we can't fit everything in the inline menu. It could be confusing and convoluted. Moreover, We want to give users a seamless experience with 1Password X without having to do anything. Our ultimate goal is to make 1Password X correctly read websites' requirements and provide satisfactory passwords for all of them. It is not unfeasible, but there is still work to be done. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features we offer.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

I totally understand that. And I can see where you’re going ;-)

• @Carbon14 Thank you for your understanding. Please feel free to give me a shout if you need anything.

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

@nhat_1P

we can't fit everything in the inline menu.

Yes, you can. That's how it works in Lastpass.

Interesting also that you mention "seamless experience" right after you say you can't do it in the inline menu ...

• Hello @zwalex ,

We can technically put everything in the inline menu, but it will take a lot of space. We want to make 1Password as simple and less intrusive as possible, and I can't find a more seamless way than automatically suggest a strong password instead of asking users to select options manually.

Using 1Password X, you only have to select the suggested password without having to do anything. If somehow, you are not satisfied with the suggested password, you can press "Ctrl+Shft+X" and "Ctrl+G" to create your own password.

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

you can press "Ctrl+Shft+X" and "Ctrl+G" to create your own password.

That doesn't do anything for me. Tried on Win10 and macOS and in different browsers. Unless by "create your own password" you mean just typing in my own password (which I can obviously do without any Ctrl/Command+Shft+whatever key strokes ...).
    I just want something similar to the Lastpass screenshot above - inline

• Hello @zwalex,

I am sorry to hear that my combination doesn't work. You should see the keyboard shortcut to open 1Password by right-clicking the 1Password X icon on your browser toolbar > Settings > Shortcuts. After that, you can go here for more information about all 1Password X's shortcut.

If the shortcuts don't work for you, please send us an email, and we will be with you quickly. https://support.1password.com/contact-us/

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

We are going in circles here ...
    The OP and I want to change the length of the suggested password and/or its mandatory characters where it is suggested - in the 'in-line menu'.

you only have to select the suggested password without having to do anything.

Right ... The problem starts, when the web site (not me ...) doesn't 'like' the suggested password - because it's too long or it doesn't have a mandatory character, or it has a character that is not allowed.
    Then - instead of clicking on the 'suggested' password and edit it right there, which would be the most intuitive, user friendly thing to do - I have to click on the browser extension icon and and make the necessary modifications there.

put everything in the inline menu, but it will take a lot of space.

No, it doesn't. I am doing this with Lastpass all the time and I never thought it takes "a lot of space" (see screenshot from my earlier post).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@zwalex:

The OP and I want to change the length of the suggested password and/or its mandatory characters where it is suggested - in the 'in-line menu'.

I am afraid that the suggested password settings cannot be changed at the moment. In those cases where a website does not like one of the automatically generated passwords, you will have to use the full password generator in 1Password X, where you can control each setting to make sure that your password is accepted on that specific website.

Perhaps in the future we can revisit this, but at the moment the full password generator area is the way to go.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

@zwalex I am getting MUCH better results using 1P7 and the OG extension. Not perfect, but a right-click away from a newly configured pwd. Things feel more functional ... hope this helps.

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

Sorry --- wrong screenie. THIS one ...

• zwalex
    zwalex
    Community Member

@Carbon14 - Thanks. Not sure if I understand "OG extension" though ...

• Carbon14
    Carbon14
    Community Member

[Man -- my internet skills are abysmal tonight.]

LOL ... sorry ... that's me being stupid. Original Gangster: the original extension versus the 1PasswordX extension.

With the original extension installed, what you see ABOVE is what I got when I right-clicked, then chose 1P, then pwdGenerator. Not perfect, but better. Overall I am happy with my upgrade. Some things could be better obvs. but that is (hopefully) a work in progress. This seems like an engaged and active development team.

Hope it helps and is not too confusing.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@zwalex:

You can download the extension Carbon14 is referring to from here :+1:

This discussion has been closed.