Disable for certain URLs

rage8885
rage8885
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Is it possible to disable 1Password entirely on certain domains / URLs?

I do web development for a living and I'm also a long time 1Password user. Seeing console errors for missing icons (for the internal site I'm developing), network requests (even though it's all local) and warnings (for some events 1Password seems to register) in the Chrome devtools is distracting and sometimes disruptive - I spent time trying to track down a possible issue in my code for what turned out to be warnings that chrome was throwing from 1Password.

The "hide on this page" option seems to work for a random short period of time (session? length of time? not sure) but doesn't seem to work consistently.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.22.4
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• @rage8885

The "hide on this page" option should work until one of the following happens.

1. You right-click a field on the page and select "Show 1Password".
    2. The browser is closed.
  • rage8885
    rage8885
    Community Member

That doesn't appear to be the case in my usage. Ironically enough, it just re-appeared for me right before I received the notification for your reply. :)

I started DevTools about 45 minutes ago and on the first load of my app I selected the "Hide on this page" option. I haven't closed DevTools or the tab, but I've refreshed the page a few dozen times (sometimes with the "Disable Cache" option selected, but most of the time with the cache enabled). Refreshing the page I'm just using F5.

The 1Password autofill popup started appearing on the login field and I had to select "Hide on this page" once again. For additional reference, the frontend code of the page hasn't changed (I've been working on the backend API portion of the code), so none of the HTML/JS served has changed.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rage8885 ,

If you refresh with the "Disable cache" option, it might remove the temporary "hide on this page" flag from 1Password X.
    Other than that, the only reason why this would occur is if the URL changed ever so slightly.

In case you are able to reproduce this on demand without performing one of the above, let us know how you do it so we can investigate it here.

• rage8885
    rage8885
    Community Member

I've tried a few different scenarios with DevTools open with the network tab having "Disable cache" checked:

• F5 to reload, 1Password remains disabled
    • Click "Refresh" in toolbar to reload, 1Password remains disabled
    • Right click "Refresh" in toolbar and select "Hard reload" to reload, 1Password remains disabled
    • Right click "Refresh" in toolbar and select "Empty Cache and hard reload" to reload, 1Password remains disabled
    • Clearing storage (DevTools -> Application -> Clear Storage -> Clear site data), 1Password remains disabled

I have noticed that it will come back faster pretty consistently when trying this:

• Goto /login page
    • Right click and disable 1Password
    • Clear cache (right click and "Hard reload")
    • Log out
    • /login page now has 1Password re-enabled

Conceptually, this makes sense if something that 1Password is using to track state is tied to the storage for the site in question, but as a developer there is really no option but to clear cache during development when loading new changes.

Is it possible to have the 1Password either store the "Disable 1Password on this Page" option somewhere that a cache clear won't erase it?

If not, can the extension have an option to add domains or URL patterns to an exception list which will completely disable 1Password?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rage8885 ,
    Thanks for the detailed steps of your tests.

Is it possible to have the 1Password either store the "Disable 1Password on this Page" option somewhere that a cache clear won't erase it?

If not, can the extension have an option to add domains or URL patterns to an exception list which will completely disable 1Password?

These are two things we definitely plan to add and enhance in 1Password X, but it will take some time as we have a current development roadmap to accomplish first.

Thanks for bringing it up though, I'll add your request to the feature's log.

This discussion has been closed.