Help: I am trying to export passwords from safari. I get an error using the MRC script

Options
BrianHardy
BrianHardy
Community Member

I am trying to export passwords from safari. I get an error using the MRC script (Safari got an error: Connection is invalid.)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I am trying to export passwords from safari. I get an error using the MRC script (Safari got an error: Connection is invalid.)

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@BrianHardy

Can you tell me which version of macOS and Safari you are running?

• BrianHardy
    BrianHardy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mr C. Safari V14.0, OS is CatalinaV10.15.7 and I just downloaded 1Password so I assume it is the current version.

Thanks, Brian Hardy

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@BrianHardy

OK, great, thanks for the info.

I'm not sure about that error you're getting, as I don't recall anyone reporting this berfore. But let's ignore that, and see if we can move forward.

You will need to give Get_Safari12_Passwords some permissions - do this under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility and add/check Script Editor.

Please be sure to quit Safari completely. Run the Get_Safari12_Passwords script, and allow it to open Safari. Just follow it's directions, and let it run to completion. Don't use your Mac while the script is running.

Once the script has extracted your passwords from Safari, it leaves them in a CSV file on your desktop. Use the csv converter in the converter suite to convert that into a 1PIF file which you can import into 1Password.

Here's is a video that shows how this is all done.

• BrianHardy
    BrianHardy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks

Got a bit further, then get this error (Screenshot in Dropbox)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qcw35wb5ap8pkj/Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 6.39.55 pm.png?dl=0

Regards

Brian

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@BrianHardy ,

Does the script appear to be processing some of the passwords, or does it look like nothing is happening?

• BrianHardy
    BrianHardy
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think so. The dropbox link shows the screen shot.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2020
    Options

@BrianHardy

I get the error you get only when I close the initial dialog box first before entering my password into the Safari Passwords dialog box. Perhaps you are doing that. Move the dialog aside, and enter your password into the Safari Passwords dialog first, then click the Continue button:

This discussion has been closed.